585,978 active members*
4,377 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Slice planer

Slice planer

Hello Bobcad community, new member here.

I have a question I'm hoping maybe a few of you polished users may be able to answer.

I'm trying to cut a compound angled surface using slice planer. To me, this seems to me this outta be a no-brainer but Bobcad disagrees.

I want to start at the top of this surface and do zig zag moves all the way to the bottom using a 1 inch bull nose endmill with a .25 corner radius. Is this possible using Bobcad? Am I missing something thinking this should be a real simple operation?

Based on the top view, it appears the toolpath wants to stay within the confines of the geometry looking at it in a "normal to" view, which prevents it from moving all the way down the said to the bottom.

Any thoughts, ideas, and/or opinions would be greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
    Jim

I may have posted this in the wrong section. If so, could a moderator please place it in the correct location. Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails side cut 1.jpg   side cut 2.JPG   side cut 3.JPG  

Well, there's nothing "planar" about that part. I dont think that could be described as "a simple part." You could make it simple, by rotating the part so those surfaces face up.

Can you post the part here?

What version/build of BobCad are you working in?

I had tech support on the phone/remote connection yesterday. While it hasn't been completely resolved, he did provide some insight that should be able to do what I want.

Looking at the part, do you want it to go down in the -Z direction or do you just wish to do the surface where the tool path sits?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanDa View Post
    Looking at the part, do you want it to go down in the -Z direction or do you just wish to do the surface where the tool path sits?
    Yes, where the tool path sits in these photos (horizontal moves). The process was to rough the entire block with a roughing endmill. Finish the "bowl" feature with a 1" BEM, and then finish the two compound-angled sides with an extended length 1" bull endmill with a 1/4 radius on the tool tip. The only part that gave me hassle was the two sides.

Are you going to attach to angle plate??

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Are you going to attach to angle plate??
    Only to drill and tap the holes.