584,812 active members*
5,416 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas VF2, good for production?

Haas VF2, good for production?

Hello everyone,
    We are planning to install a new Haas VF2YT or VF2SSYT for our machine shop where batch production of steel components will be carried out. Here in India there are a lot of local machine manufacturer who provide machines for pretty good rates but here Haas has a very good reputation for accuracy and machine life (Any experiences?).
    1. So how is Haas compared to other machine manufacturers like Doosan / Hyundai in same cost bracket?
    2. Is VF2YT/SS good for production machining volumes of 30000 pieces (CI / FG Casting and AISI1020 / CK45 Steel and somewhat Stainless Steel)?
    3. How rigid is the machine? The weight of machine almost 1MT (2200 lbs) less as compared to other machine manufacturers which raises some question in my mind.

Thanks in advance and also bearing with me till the end of the post.

P.S. This is my first post and really happy to be a part of this community.

My opinion is that you should not buy a machine with extended Y-axis (larger spindle hang out) if your concerns are rigidity. Better to go up to next size without extension of Y-axis

Quote Originally Posted by The Swede View Post
    My opinion is that you should not buy a machine with extended Y-axis (larger spindle hang out) if your concerns are rigidity. Better to go up to next size without extension of Y-axis
    @The Swede Thanks for reply. The cost difference between VF2 and VF3 as quoted is quite huge. Also the import duties and stuff really increase the financial load so we have narrowed down to these two machines.

Sent from Minco V6 powered Galaxy Nexus via Tapatalk 2

we have a VF2SS works fine if you're taking light cuts
    good machine for the money you get what you pay for

I am assuming that the parts you are dealing with are quite large.

Given the list of materials you have posted, I don't know what an SS version will buy you. The metal removal rate at low RPM will suck. There are threads dealing with that here if you search a bit. The SSYT costs as much as a VF3 so if you have the budget for it you should be able to afford the VF3 (not factoring in shipping etc...). You should really consider the optional gearbox. It will give you much better performance at low rpms.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    I am assuming that the parts you are dealing with are quite large.

Given the list of materials you have posted, I don't know what an SS version will buy you. The metal removal rate at low RPM will suck. There are threads dealing with that here if you search a bit. The SSYT costs as much as a VF3 so if you have the budget for it you should be able to afford the VF3 (not factoring in shipping etc...). You should really consider the optional gearbox. It will give you much better performance at low rpms.

bob
    Agree 100%. The VF2SSYT is more expensive than a standard VF3. The most expensive machine is the one that don´t give you the parts your customer want

Furthermore if you really worry about rigidity maybe you should consider a machine with box type guideways instead of linear guideways and with gearbox as suggested

Quote Originally Posted by The Swede View Post

Furthermore if you really worry about rigidity maybe you should consider a machine with box type guideways instead of linear guideways and with gearbox as suggested
    The most rigid VMC I run has linear guideways on all axies, but it weighs 60,000 pounds, cat 50 tapper, spindle nose diameter of 10 inches with very little projection and 32 inches of travel on Y. Point being, You need iron! I've ran a Hyundai-kia VX500 and it out performed a VF-3 in production. But the Haas control is much easier to use with its large screen, keyboard, probes/VQC.

Thank you guys for your replies. Maybe its time to get quote of VF3 asap. I now understand the point that ssyt combination won't do anything good as far as parts and material to be removed is considered. So will check out pricing and report here about suitability. Meanwhile thanks a lot all of you

Quote Originally Posted by ashishw View Post
    Thank you guys for your replies. Maybe its time to get quote of VF3 asap. I now understand the point that ssyt combination won't do anything good as far as parts and material to be removed is considered. So will check out pricing and report here about suitability. Meanwhile thanks a lot all of you

Idk about that...the SS will give you faster tool changes and faster rapids and the YT is the extended travel...

I personally wouldnt buy one after running them, I would much rather spend my own money on say an okuma or higher quality machine. Why not look for a machine with the X and Y axis separated? like the GENOS M460-VE from okuma....thats the lowest end of the okumas and its still better than the best of haas....

One thing to note is the VF3 being quite a bit heavier than VF2 because the machines are built on a very different base and column. That's probably a big contributor for the noticeable price difference between them.

When it comes to production in steels I'd look at the standard model VF3 rather than the SS version. Depending on the amount of options you're looking at, the VM3 may be a good deal, since it has the rigidity of the standard VF3 but with many of the upgrades common to the SS machines.

We have two VF-2SS', a VF-0E and two VF-0's. We machine 99% aluminum so the SS' give us a benefit. We run them 18hrs a day 7 days a week. Perform very well. For what you wanting to run it sounds like you would be better off with a VF-3 with a gear box.

J

Using newer machining technologies such as triodal machining can remove a lot of metal very quickly without overloading or stressing your machine. The Haas control works very will for this type of steel machining if your CAM software allows you to use it. Add newer end mills like SwiftCarbs Ramping mills and you will be amazed at what you can cut. Warning, there will be a lot of people that will scream bloody murder at what you can do. Be prepared for it. I'v learned it the hard way but have been able to keep older smaller machines in production by using newer CAM and tooling technology.
    My 2 cents worth.

Lowell

Re: Haas VF2, good for production?

Hi i am new to this forum i have a haas vf2 ss 2008 model does anyone know how to connect it to a network so i can share files to it from my windows PC Thank you