586,005 active members*
5,034 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Door switches issue with video
Page 1 of 2 12

Door switches issue with video

On a very new machine to me I face a basic problem regarding the work of a door. As far I could read before in others posts the okuma needs that the door is closed and opened at initial start of the machine so that the security mechanism is checked.

What happens: I have the machine powered with the door closed. An alarm pops asking to open the door. That seams ok.
    When I open all the door the alarm does not go away, it is like the door was not opened and a few moments after another alarm goes on, that is something "N.G." that is normal after the check procedure is not completed within a few seconds. I checked the micro switch and seams normal.

Trying to go for more information I asked in another thread where could I found the inputs/outputs, so I searched and found a page related with the door inputs.
    A video was made expecting that someone could point me out what should be on or off and it is present on the following link. In the video description it is explained what happens that is basically the following:

1) Door is closed when the video starts and it is asked for the door to be opened.
    2) I press the open door button on the NC panel -> the door lock is opened (door is now free) and the signal on the top (iDRCL) goes off
    3) When door is fully opened the signal iDROP/ goes off that happens when the micro switch says that the door is opened.

But is seams that there is something else that should happen as the alarm changes to "Door open/close answer 1"

MOV01470 - YouTube

I never see the iDRCL/ in bold, but I also do not know if it was expected.
    Thank you

there's 2 switches (one on each door). probably one of them is not working because your video shows only 1 working. the alarm means the machine has not received a signal from the door switch. first thing to try is check/replace the switch that is not working. find the bad one using check data screen while opening/closing each door separately.

Thanks. The data check screen is the screen that is present on the video?
    Machine only have one door. I will test the switch and post again.

I tested each wire that goes from each micro switch until the electrical cabinet and wires are ok. I also tested the functionality of the micros switchs and also they are ok.

When machine is turned on, with the door opened, instantly a error appears that says "Locking switch N.G.", this without doing nothing.

Instead of asking a lot on the forum I must be able to reverse back what triggers this (and possible for others errors that I will face).
    So I would like to know how can I follow, for example, the error cause of the "locking switch N.G.". Where is the logical information for the NC that triggers the error, what inputs should I look for. This information would get me going as I will probably be able to solve others in the future.

Your missing the door lock signal, not the door closed signal. This signal come from the actual locking mech on the solenoid in the door switch. If this is the type that has the manual release key on the lock, check to make sure it's in lock position, then make sure the key fork is going in all the way. I believe it should be #DRCL/

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Your missing the door lock signal, not the door closed signal. This signal come from the actual locking mech on the solenoid in the door switch. If this is the type that has the manual release key on the lock, check to make sure it's in lock position, then make sure the key fork is going in all the way. I believe it should be #DRCL/
    The part that holds the fork key while the door is closed is working, this is, the fork gets locked. It have on the top two positions: one that is locked and other unlocked. In the unlocked position the fork does not stay locked, so it is currently(and was) in the lock position.
    Regarding the fork going all the way, I removed the fork of the machine to test inserting it all the way, and I can confirm that it previously was already going at max deepth.
    By your description, the signal iDRCL/ should be marked (looking at PLC DATA DISPLAY nº 26) when the door is closed?

Thank you

Should be 3 contacts in that switch. Door open, door closed, door locked. Not having prints I can't tell you much more. Maybe post the switch MFG and model number.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Should be 3 contacts in that switch. Door open, door closed, door locked. Not having prints I can't tell you much more. Maybe post the switch MFG and model number.
    I will test the output of the switch and post after. It is a telemecanique XCS-E.
    Thank you.

I must have something broken in this telemecanique safety as I just removed the top cover for testing the cables, and before I tested the cables the machine is up again. I will carefully check the remaining door related info.
    Thank you

is it O.K. now?
    All advises posted are correct. You need to folow the instructions and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    is it O.K. now?
    All advises posted are correct. You need to folow the instructions and that's it.
    This is becoming hard to follow, and I probably need more advice. This morning the machine was ok, then the problem again, what suggests something that is intermittent.
    I would like to understand how to follow the information from the switches up to the controller and see if a switch was outputting correctly, this would be the most important lesson to me as I would be able to figure this issue and probably others after.

For example, in respect to the video posted, it is showing exactly the problem as I have: Starting with the door closed, machine wants that the door to be opened, I open it and it still is expecting something to happen:

1) the "iDRCL" signal, seams to me that is signal for DOOR LOCKED, as it goes off when I press the open door button on the panel. I can also hear the solenoid opening the lock. underthetire, I think that "iDRCL" is the door lock signal, not "iDRCL/"

2) the "iDRDROP/" signal is the signal that is produced by the micro that informs when the door is opened (this signal changes when the door is opened, so I do not know what the controller needs more).

There is also the "iDRCL/" that I would like to track down to know where the controller reads it and where it is connected. It is clearly related to the door, so it can be the issue.
    In the video it can be seen that there are 8 bits, and I am in data display 26. Now how this relates to the NC?
    Thank you

Well, your going to have one output for the solenoid. That makes sense. I'll see if I can dig up prints for that particular switch. I still think the fault is in the lock signal from the solenoid. Typically where they fail.

Ok, so the switch will either have 2no and 1 nc or 2nc and 1no.

http://datasheet.octopart.com/XCS-E7...eet-519713.pdf

Okuma is most likely using all 3 signals. You may have a resistance problem on the contacts.

Let me describe what I would do in that case
    1. Check if door lock is not under tension when door is closed.
    Must be up to ~5mm play. If you don't feel any play, the lock is on tension.
    2. Take the lock "bar" from the door and try door lock/ unlock manipulating the lock "bar" by hand
    3. Check the mechanical lock setting once again. You need you to set the lock in proper position "engaged" with lock key. with the key, which allows to open the lock without electricity
    Sure, maybe wiring, maybe inputs/ outputs. A lot of places to fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    Let me describe what I would do in that case
    1. Check if door lock is not under tension when door is closed.
    Must be up to ~5mm play. If you don't feel any play, the lock is on tension.
    2. Take the lock "bar" from the door and try door lock/ unlock manipulating the lock "bar" by hand
    3. Check the mechanical lock setting once again. You need you to set the lock in proper position "engaged" with lock key. with the key, which allows to open the lock without electricity
    Sure, maybe wiring, maybe inputs/ outputs. A lot of places to fault.
    I did not work today, but I am sure that:

1) No tension. I installed the lock with the door closed (I removed the lock key, closed the door and tight the lock key into the door without any tension)
    2) I did that, following the logic of the door mechanism (one thing after the other in the correct sequence).
    3) This is why I want to understand the issue. I need to follow cables and check logical status from the door mechanism until the control. I must be able to understand what triggers the "iDRCL/" signal. This would be very helpfully.
    Thanks for all opinions.

I must be able to understand what triggers the "iDRCL/" signal. This would be very helpfully
    You can find relevant input of I/O block according electrical diagram. Then You can check the wire to lock. Then You can simulate signal at lock side and look into check screen for signal change. And so on ...
    It's quite rare, but, who knows. Maybe lock is faulty itself.

I checked this on my machine today. it's not the same type machine or controller but it was interesting to compare.
    On my machine there are 8 signals that change when the door opens/closes/locks. It looks like one of your signals is there but there are several others missing including the safety circuit check. you need to look at your electrical diagrams to find the used signals then locate the missing ones on the check data screens.

I still did not solve this. One of the main reason is that the locking switch is not for sure the original. The plate where the locking device is placed is quite larger than the current locking switch and the bolts holes do not match, so it is very difficult to handle (I miss a live ladder that would help me tracking what enables and triggers the signals).

fordav11: safety circuit check; what signal is this one? Any of the signals present on the screen that is on the video?

Algirdas: "You can find relevant input of I/O block according electrical diagram". I think that the electrical was changed due to the change on the locking device what makes my life harder.

My understanding on machines tell me that there are logical states that if matched something else is enable or disable. In this case there should be a few signals that will tell the machine: Door is working and is now closed.

Is this information that is not present on the machine documentation that I have, and I think I now have all documents of the machine (or maybe I cannot understand it).
    So, where can I obtain this info, if the machine does not present a full ladder scheme to the user?

Once again thank you for the support.
    I contacted the representative of Okuma in Portugal (that is subsidiary of the representative in Spain) asking for prices for service and they don't even replied.

BTW, with Telemecanique Emerg. switches, the striker has to operate the various contacts in sequence, if not the switch will not function as expected.
    This is to avoid dummy strikers being inserted to trip the switch manually.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Probably solved

Although not sure that the issue is now solved, at least it appears that it will.
    I followed each individual cable (micro switches and safety locker) and I found one broken from the safety locker until the electrical cabinet. This cable should inform the controller that the lock is not in the locker.
    If I do not post more, then this was the issue.
    Thank you all that posted in reply to my question.

Page 1 of 2 12