585,763 active members*
4,069 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Got my new PCNC 1100 last Thursday and have had nothing but problems
Page 1 of 4 123

Got my new PCNC 1100 last Thursday and have had nothing but problems

I bought the automatic oiler and PDB with it as well.

I started off by installing the automatic oiler and Machine Controller and started it up to jog it around. I ran into the first problem when I tried to start the spindle. Nothing happened. After going through the troubleshooting I found out that the Spindle Door Switch that stops the spindle from turning on if the spindle door is open just plain doesn't work.

I understand that these machines come from China and they are cheap machines, but that switch is pure junk. I bypassed the switch to confirm that it was the problem. Sure enough the spindle started right up.

I then proceeded to get the PDB installed today. I was actually surprised with how well the directions were written and didn't have any problems getting it installed and working. However, after getting it installed and booting the machine back up it just randomly shuts off and says the E-stop switch has been triggered.

I messed around and troubleshooted this problem for a long time before finding that the XFM1 transformer is dead. It is supposed to step down the voltage from 220 to 115. I tested the wires and it is getting 220 and putting out 4 volts.

I haven't been able to talk to support since it is Saturday, but I can't think of anything that I could have done to cause this.

So now my machine is sitting here doing nothing because of cheap parts. Pretty frustrated with Tormach right now, but I will give them a chance to make it right on Monday by getting me the parts to fix it overnight.

Anyone else have similar problems or I am just lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by p3t3rbuilt View Post
    I messed around and troubleshooted this problem for a long time before finding that the XFM1 transformer is dead. It is supposed to step down the voltage from 220 to 115. I tested the wires and it is getting 220 and putting out 4 volts.
    Hmmm..... Well, the key switch and belt guard are related to XFM1. That circuit is control only, which means it has a really little fuse on it.

It is also feeding the ESTOP and Start buttons. Since you were mucking about with that circuit, I would check fuse FU3 to see if it has blown. If you were jumpering/bypassing things on this circuit, it can be relatively easy to blow that fuse by accident (it is only .75A).

The output of XFM1 drives the case fan and some control circuits. Is the fan turning on?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinro View Post
    Hmmm..... Well, the key switch and belt guard are related to XFM1. That circuit is control only, which means it has a really little fuse on it.

It is also feeding the ESTOP and Start buttons. Since you were mucking about with that circuit, I would check fuse FU3 to see if it has blown. If you were jumpering/bypassing things on this circuit, it can be relatively easy to blow that fuse by accident (it is only .75A).

The output of XFM1 drives the case fan and some control circuits. Is the fan turning on?
    Oh, and BTW: How are you measuring the output of XFM1? Are you measuring between terminals 102 and 100? I would do that while ESTOP is depressed (which opens the circuit).

I bought a 770 last July and it took a couple weeks to get it fitted out and running properly. They shipped the wrong oiler, the PDB valve assembly cover plate didn't fit the machine, the controller died after a couple months, the 4th axis base ground surface had a bump so it didn't sit flat, and a few other little things.

None of the problems were difficult to resolve. In most cases a quick Google search gives the answer. The Tormach tech support is excellent, and their customer service is very good. I haven't found the components to be poor quality generally; not often industrial necessarily, but at least decent commercial level parts--and top quality in some critical cases.

One of the advantages of these machines is that they are easily repairable with ordinary tools and reasonable mechanical and electrical skills. This makes the mean time to repair very short and the average cost to repair very low relative to the big iron machines. Spare parts are cheap enough that I keep a pretty good stock of things for just a few percent of the purchase price.

I understand your frustration with the out-of-box experience, but a machine of this complexity is going to take some fitting out and trials--just like a new boat. Once you get past the early failures and issues I'm confident you'll find the machine rock solid. I'm very, very happy with my purchase.

I had a few issues with my 770 as well. First was the installation of the ATC. The manual I got was missing a lot of things. I found out later that my printed manual had been updated with a new manual on Tormach's website. Of course, I found that AFTER I got it working on my own.

Second thing was that my spindle drive motor was wired in reverse. That was a simple fix to swap 2 wire connectors.

At first, I was annoyed to have to install all the various things myself, as that took quite a bit of time and I was hoping that all my options would be installed when I received it. However, I now have a great understanding of the machine and how it all works.

That is worth the time that the various installs and problems took. I have been inside the machine since day one, and won't be nervous about monkeying with it in the future if necessary.

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by rzulch View Post
    ...They shipped the wrong oiler, ..... I'm very, very happy with my purchase.
    I'm only adding to this thread because this also happened to me. I ordered the auto and got the manual which I kept and got the difference refunded. I know only 2 incidents might not be much to be concerned about, but maybe Tormach needs to look into why this happened.

I am also very, very happy with my purchase.

The original poster had less than two days of ownership when this was originally posted. He has not spoken to Tormach. And he's had "nothing but problems."

I would like to apologize for not taking this thread seriously.

Frederic

by the sound of some of these replies you expect there to be problems with new purchases an you accept this, new machine purchase should be as expected , ready to go without problems an all correct parts supplied.

Quote Originally Posted by john robertson View Post
    by the sound of some of these replies you expect there to be problems with new purchases an you accept this, new machine purchase should be as expected , ready to go without problems an all correct parts supplied.
    Depends if it's a problem, or a PROBLEM (wrong oiler vs. no oiler). My 1100 arrived in 2/2011 and I have had one issue after 4 months with the Z axis brake which got quickly resolved. Ran just fine out of the box.

I'd call this an exception, not the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
    The original poster had less than two days of ownership when this was originally posted. He has not spoken to Tormach. And he's had "nothing but problems."

I would like to apologize for not taking this thread seriously.

Frederic
    Hope he is not VaderSpade's neighbor

Perhaps the OP could post the results of talking to Tormach since it has been four days since posting on a Sunday when tormach was closed.

Don

I remember an incident about a year ago when a gentleman had similar problems and instead of contacting the folks at Tormach, he made threats of legal action.

Tormach's solution was simple. They showed up at his shop/house with a truck and a check and yanked his machine.

Maybe that's what has happened here as well.

I have had my machine since July 2011, and all I have "EVER" done is run it.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by john robertson View Post
    I disagree. Often the last of the fine tuning is the most expensive. If you can keep the price down and have the owner invest just a little sweat equity then maybe that's what some of the owners are looking for.

Nothing out of pocket since there's a warranty, just a little time that also allows the benefit of getting to know your machine.

I'm an auto mechanic. When I buy a car I look for something that needs some repair, it's a lot more affordable that way.

Essentially I'd rather have an affordable machine that has a few easily fixable flaws than no machine at all.

Consider also this guy may just be unlucky and has just some small issues that the majority of owners are not seeing. IE a lemon.

good points chris , used car understandable coment .same with used machinery,
    But we talking NEW machine here , buy NEW car you would expect all wheels to be same size an all turn , not three one size an one old. NEW machine you should expect all parts to arrive an all parts to work as they should.
    well thats how things work on this side of world

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I remember an incident about a year ago when a gentleman had similar problems and instead of contacting the folks at Tormach, he made threats of legal action.

Tormach's solution was simple. They showed up at his shop/house with a truck and a check and yanked his machine.

Maybe that's what has happened here as well.
    A prime example of why you can't believe everything you read on the internet.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Anyone who expects everything they buy to always work perfectly right out of the box, is not living in the real world, and is bound to be very disappointed. S**t happens. What matters most is how the seller deals with the problems. By nearly all accounts, Tormach is very good about dealing with the inevitable problems. And the problem described in this thread are hardly serious anyway. I'd bet most of us would've simply dug in and solved them ourselves, or at least found a work-around, in a very short time.

Regards,
    Ray L.

[QUOTE=Chris Duncan;1220604]I'm an auto mechanic. When I buy a car I look for something that needs some repair, it's a lot more affordable that way.QUOTE]

What a bunch of crap. You know damned well that when you buy a NEW car, you expect it to be in perfect condition.

Don't EVEN try to tell me otherwise. We all know as well as I do that if a lot machines get out that won't run properly then it's not long till the manufacturer get a reputation for selling junk, and I just can't imagine Tormach trying to do that.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    You know damned well that when you buy a NEW car, you expect it to be in perfect condition...... We all know as well as I do that if a lot machines get out that won't run properly then it's not long till the manufacturer get a reputation for selling junk, and I just can't imagine Tormach trying to do that.
    Maybe my analogy is not that great. I think you pay more for a machine that's near perfect. From what I've read some of the Tormachs have some minor issues like loose screws, maybe loose wiring connectors etc. All stuff that can be easily and affordable remedied.

It doesn't apply to most production but part of the process for some hobbyists is the DIY tuning, building. Take something that's imperfect and make it better.

This complex of a machine at this price point, considering the constant advance of technology which dictates a constant upgrade scenario. It's not surprising that there might be a few glitches along the way. Sometimes by the time you fully dial something in it's already obsolete.

It's made in China, it doesn't have the quality control of a Boeing airliner, that is expected at this price point.

There is nothing in the OP that would put me off from buying a Tormach. All minor issues and just an excuse to open it up and see what's inside.

And BTW 90% of new cars are not perfect. Toyota's are solid cars that hold their value almost as good as some metal machines but with the current level of pricepoint/complexity there are always inherent issues. Just look at all of Toyota's (and every other manufacture's) new car recalls.

Don't feel bad my first machine was far from perfect and spent a month plus trying to get it within spec. My delivery guy actually dropped something on my machine and bent the brake tab on my Z. Luckily everything turned out great and all I had to do is bend it back.

Long story short Tormach made it right and put me that much more in tune with the machine. It doesn't matter what I buy expensive, cheap, etc.., I'm the guy that always gets the dud. I guess that's why I can fix things.

It appears that after making a complete ass out of himself, p3t3rbuilt has decided to take his woes elsewhere.

Aw shucks.

Page 1 of 4 123