585,759 active members*
3,953 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Just Ordered A Torus Pro
Page 1 of 2 12

Just Ordered A Torus Pro

I've just pulled the trigger on a Torus Pro, to supplement my CNC'd knee mill. So, now the fun begins - figuring out how in the world I'm going to get it from the street, about 300 feet up a partially-paved, partially very uneven, 2" rock driveway, and into my shop, then up on it's stand. The only viable option I see is a small forklift, which looks like it'll cost about $350 for the day, including delivery and pickup. Were it just a matter of getting the machine up on the stand, I'd probably just rent, or buy, an engine hoist. But, right now, I don't see any reasonable option for getting the big, 15500 pound crate up the driveway to the shop other than a forklift.

Any alternative ideas welcome...

Regards,
    Ray L.

Sweet, congratulations!

I tell ya, although using an engine hoist isn't terribly difficult, I was wishing for a fork lift the times I needed to take my mills on and off the stand. I don't think one would fit in my garage, height wise, though.

Here's an idea: lift the crates up 6" or so and set them down on several round beams (fence posts maybe) and roll it to where-ever it needs to go. Pretend it's a pyramid building block. If there is an incline, I bet buying a strong winch would be a better investment than renting a forklift.

A couple sheets of plywood could be layed down to make a short road. Of course, when you get onto the second piece you would pick up the first one and move it to the front. Maybe three pieces would be better.

Ray
    The Mill comes in two or crates and I think both will fit in a pickup truck. If you have or can borrow one have it ready to meet the delivery truck and load the crate(s) on the pick up. drive it to the shop and off load the crates there with a eng. hoist or Gantry crane, you can rent either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    Sweet, congratulations!

I tell ya, although using an engine hoist isn't terribly difficult, I was wishing for a fork lift the times I needed to take my mills on and off the stand. I don't think one would fit in my garage, height wise, though.

Here's an idea: lift the crates up 6" or so and set them down on several round beams (fence posts maybe) and roll it to where-ever it needs to go. Pretend it's a pyramid building block. If there is an incline, I bet buying a strong winch would be a better investment than renting a forklift.

A couple sheets of plywood could be layed down to make a short road. Of course, when you get onto the second piece you would pick up the first one and move it to the front. Maybe three pieces would be better.
    Rolling on pipe is not an option, because the first 100 feet of the driveway is VERY uneven, and covered with 2" rock. Nothing short of a car wheel will roll over it. I considered building a dolly using large wheels, like wheelbarrow wheels, and towing it with the lawn tractor, but I'm not sure even that would work. We tried the plywood trick when we moved in here, and it also didn't work. Even with hand-trucks it was hard going.

Were it not for the driveway, I would just use an engine hoist to get the thing onto its stand.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by ram48 View Post
    Ray
    The Mill comes in two or crates and I think both will fit in a pickup truck. If you have or can borrow one have it ready to meet the delivery truck and load the crate(s) on the pick up. drive it to the shop and off load the crates there with a eng. hoist or Gantry crane, you can rent either.
    Unfortunately, the only pickup we have access to is a HUGE F-350 quad-cab diesel monstrosity that won't even fit in the driveway, much less make it all the way up to the shop - it's both too wide and too high. Best alternate idea I've come up with is pulling a small trailer behind a small tractor -we have several tractors.

The bloody driveway is a royal PITA!

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    I've just pulled the trigger on a Torus Pro, to supplement my CNC'd knee mill. So, now the fun begins - figuring out how in the world I'm going to get it from the street, about 300 feet up a partially-paved, partially very uneven, 2" rock driveway, and into my shop, then up on it's stand. The only viable option I see is a small forklift, which looks like it'll cost about $350 for the day, including delivery and pickup. Were it just a matter of getting the machine up on the stand, I'd probably just rent, or buy, an engine hoist. But, right now, I don't see any reasonable option for getting the big, 15500 pound crate up the driveway to the shop other than a forklift.

Any alternative ideas welcome...

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Congrats! 2nd on using the trailer attachment. Also, a small 1500lbs engine hoist to lift it.

How did you get the knee mill in there - that seems much heavier? And the tractor plus little trailer seems like a good combo. Engine hoist for sure going to the stand, unless you plan on taking the mill completely apart.

Congrats on the new machine - I think they look pretty sweet/capable. The travels are great.
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

I lucked out with the knee mill, and found a neighbor a few miles down the road who had a fork lift. I asked if he'd be willing to rent it to me, and he insisted on just letting me borrow it, no charge! This time, looks like I'll have to rent one. The rental is reasonable - $165/day. But they want $110 each way for pickup and delivery, so it'll be about $400 total.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I'll be following this, I may have a situation similar in the future.

and i was complaining about putting the machine on the stand :-) good luck Ray with the move.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    I lucked out with the knee mill, and found a neighbor a few miles down the road who had a fork lift. I asked if he'd be willing to rent it to me, and he insisted on just letting me borrow it, no charge! This time, looks like I'll have to rent one. The rental is reasonable - $165/day. But they want $110 each way for pickup and delivery, so it'll be about $400 total.

Regards,
    Ray L.

At least with the forklift solution you can use it to lift the mill onto the stand.

If it were my money

Ray

Try negotiating with the delivery company. Most have lift gate trucks that can handle the load. Usually a $50 surcharge.

If they are brining out a lift gate truck, pay the extra $100 for the guy to back into your drive and take it up the road. He can drop it at your shop door instead of the curb. From there you can be the proud owner of an engine hoist or gantry (depending on shop height & budget).

My next choice would be the forklift. You will probably spend as much (+/- $75) as the other alternatives + a case of beer. $100 is cheap insurance that your machine gets located safely.

Be sure the forklift has a free lift carriage (tines raise without the mast raising). Otherwise you may be installing a sun tube or skylight afterwards.

As always, measure before crashing. Some of the compact forklifts barely make it through shop openings.

Best of effort to ya!
    Let us know how your final solution works out.

Would a small tow truck would be too big for that driveway, too? I paid the local gas station to use their tow truck to offload a surface grinder from the PU truck it was delivered in and that worked pretty well. $75, as I recall.

There isn't even enough room for a small car to get all the way up to the shop. Both width and height are limited.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Depending on your location, it might be cheaper to buy a new house somewhere! I hear real estate is going cheap in the US.

:P

Curious about what you'll think of the Torus Pro. Just recently found a local machinist that very kindly tried to offload his Novakon HM-145 or whatever it was. After describing in detail what a POS it had been for him, he wanted 6 grand for it. Yeahh..

Anyway, good luck with the move, don't have much to offer - I assume you're not willing to tear the machine apart, eh?

Congrats Ray!
    I also want to hear your thoughts on the Torus Pro! I've been trying to find a used (very used) VMC but there just aren't any here in SC that are within my price range (for hobby use). So I've toyed with the idea of a Novakon or a Tormcah!
    Good luck with the move!
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Congrats Ray!
    I also want to hear your thoughts on the Torus Pro! I've been trying to find a used (very used) VMC but there just aren't any here in SC that are within my price range (for hobby use). So I've toyed with the idea of a Novakon or a Tormcah!
    Good luck with the move!
    Bill
    Bill,

Don't think you'd go wrong with either. The Tormach is a fine machine, but the work envelope on the Torus Pro is so much larger, for me it was an easy decision. I'll be able to do almost everything I now do on my 9x49 knee mill - the only real difference will be less X travel, and a bit less Z travel. The MUCH smaller Y travel on the Tormach would've made life difficult for me.

Regards
    Ray L.

Hello Ray.

I would like to know your thoughts on the machine when you get it up and running.
    Did you get the servo or the Stepper?
    Are you going to convert it to A kFlop?

Thanks
    Rob

Rob,

I'm getting a stepper machine, because that's what I can get my hands on in a hurry. I will upgrade to servos very shortly.

Yes, I intend to convert to KFlop as soon as I can, because I will really miss the custom CNC controller app I wrote for KFlop - not looking forward to being dependent on Mach3 again. Might be a couple of months before I put in the KFlop, because I have a lot of work to get out first, and it makes sense to wait to do the KFlop conversion either at the same time, or right after the servo conversion. No point ripping everything apart twice!

Just ran a new 220V/20A circuit in the shop to feed the beast today, and in a few more days I should have the new compressed air piping over there as well, so I'll be all ready for it when it shows up.

Regards,
    Ray L.

That is good to know.
    I have never seen any where what size the axis motors are, I am curious if they a NEMA34 or something odd. I hope you can let us know.

Have you ever put up any screen shots of your custom machine software. I also follow along with the KFlop group.

I will be watching for your post and impressions of the machine.

Thanks
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12