585,975 active members*
4,605 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > DIY machine or Shopbot for watercutting or flood table possible to cut Carbon Fiber?

DIY machine or Shopbot for watercutting or flood table possible to cut Carbon Fiber?

Really new to CNC so bear with me.

I've seen these Shopbots which look really awesome for starting a small business, small footprint, low cost and seems like its really expandable in its options/heads.

But how does building your own compare to getting a shopbot? Is it worth going through allow the trouble building your own when there's a finished machine lie the Shopbot?

Im looking into working with Carbon Fiber and realize that cutting it with water is the safest way.

Is it possible to build a CNC machine with a flood table so the CNC machine actually cuts the carbon fiber UNDER water?

Is it possible for CNC routers to be submerged like that? (I assume it would be a router doing the cutting of the CF underwater?)

Would this be a better option than a water jet cutter?

Is is possible to build water jet setup with enclosure that will cut CF?

On a CNC machine with a flood table you would never submerge the spindle (router) only the tool would be submerged.

Is the submersion mainly for dust suppression or for some other reason? I can't imagine that a normal dust collector or a water mister wouldn't fix the problem without having to submerge the whole workpiece...

Yes the submersion is for the carbon fiber dust, which from what I'm reading must be avoided at all costs. So if I set up a CNC for this purpose I want to do it right from the beginning.

So what I'm looking for is called a Flood Table then? Are you able to DIY one of these when/if I would be DIYing a CNC or can I add a flood table onto a Shopbot?

Does anyone know if there are issues with submerging carbon fiber? I've read some composites might get water logged during this process, so hoping carbon fiber is not one of them.

Thanks.

Honestly, I've never seen a cnc machine with a standing pool of water... Flood coolant is common on CNC milling machines, but that is basically just a strong stream of water directed at the cutter head.

I think you'd be wise to go with something that's not too far out of the ordinary for your first CNC experience. There's enough to learn as-is without introducing things that could possibly destroy your machine.

What's wrong with simply using a vacuum system? I have my CNC in a full enclosure, with a vacuum hose that goes in next to the cutter. Because it's in a sealed enclosure any air in there has to get pulled through the vacuum, which has HEPA filters. There are some vent holes in the side of the enclosure which let in new air.

A setup like that is going to be much easier to rig than a flood table, and should provide adequate protection against any dust. Just make sure you do any additional cleanup with a vacuum as well, don't ever use an air hose if you're worried about dust.