585,981 active members*
4,419 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > tapping M1.6 holes with the Tormach tension/compression head

tapping M1.6 holes with the Tormach tension/compression head

I'm considering buying the TTS ER16 tension compression tapping head for the purpose of tapping some small (m1.6) holes. Does anyone have experience machine tapping holes so tiny? Would the tension compression head even work on this, or would the spring just strip the threads?

you should thread mill thoses holes.

I have had very good results with tapping small holes such as 2-56 blind holes shown here using a TTS mounted Procunier 1E reversing tapping head with my Tormach.

Don

Tapping 2-56 on Tormach video by miltons_stuff | Photobucket

Quote Originally Posted by FuriousGeorge View Post
    I'm considering buying the TTS ER16 tension compression tapping head for the purpose of tapping some small (m1.6) holes. Does anyone have experience machine tapping holes so tiny? Would the tension compression head even work on this, or would the spring just strip the threads?
    Material and tap type will make a difference. I've down hundreds of #4-40 through holes in aluminum with spiral point taps and had nary a problem.

I'm about to do some #3-48 blind holes in aluminum and will be trying a form tap.

Whatever you do, don't just use a standard tap, especially one from the HW store.

Mike

I would definitly use a form tap. By doing it with a form tap, you should be just fine as long as you don't hit the bottom of the hole.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

For tapping small blind holes in 6061-T6 Aluminum I use a Balax form tap. The form tap doesn’t cut thread but rather forges the threads and therefore no chips— especially good for blind holes. I have tapped 10s of thousands of 4-40 blind holes in 6061-T6 using the Procuier 1E reversing tapping head, forming tap, and Relton A9 tapping fluid on my Tormach with excellent results. One of the reasons IMO that the Procunier tap head works so well with small taps is the double-cone "cushioned" clutch of the Procunier. Also the Procunier tap head stops within 1/3 rev and there is no need for dwell time. I also know that the 4-40 tapped formed holes work well because I am the one who installs the screw in each hole that I have tapped. I have my own quality control and can tell how well the 4-40 hole was tapped. In my experience the Procunier and Balax form tap make a very strong consistent threaded blind hole as proven by the 10s of thousands of holes that were made with a SS screw installed.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I would definitly use a form tap. By doing it with a form tap, you should be just fine as long as you don't hit the bottom of the hole.
    Thanks - there is plenty of room for a deep hole so bottoming out the tap won't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    For tapping small blind holes in 6061-T6 Aluminum I use a Balax form tap. The form tap doesn’t cut thread but rather forges the threads and therefore no chips— especially good for blind holes. I have tapped 10s of thousands of 4-40 blind holes in 6061-T6 using the Procuier 1E reversing tapping head, forming tap, and Relton A9 tapping fluid on my Tormach with excellent results. One of the reasons IMO that the Procunier tap head works so well with small taps is the double-cone "cushioned" clutch of the Procunier. Also the Procunier tap head stops within 1/3 rev and there is no need for dwell time. I also know that the 4-40 tapped formed holes work well because I am the one who installs the screw in each hole that I have tapped. I have my own quality control and can tell how well the 4-40 hole was tapped. In my experience the Procunier and Balax form tap make a very strong consistent threaded blind hole as proven by the 10s of thousands of holes that were made with a SS screw installed.

Don
    I use a Procunier 1E on my manual mill and like it there, but the Tormach tension-compression head is more convenient for me on the Tormach and has worked well so far for through holes with gun taps. Hopefully, it won't have any problem with the Morse form taps that Mari Tool sells.

Mike