584,800 active members*
4,468 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Which files to copy?

Which files to copy?

I am upgrading to a new computer and will install x4 mu2. I am currently running on a laptop and need to know which files to copy after the new install (config,machdef, etc)

Thanks for the help

Configurations, machine definitions, control definitions, post processors. Can't give exact file names because we do not know what you may have added or modified.

Look for files that are later than the original install date.
    Sort in file explorer by date created probably will work.
    This applies to lots of software in a windows environment.
    Probably in multiple places on the computer too.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Do a search of your hard drive for mcamx6. There will usually be 3 main folders. mcamx6 (main program install folder) Shared mcamx6 and my mcamx6 The shared mcamx6 and my mcamx6 folders will be the ones you will want to copy and replace on your new install However if you are going upgrading to win 7 from xp the files will have to be put in different locations than they are in xp. How do I know this...did 3 installs on 3 computers in 6 months.. good grief

Oooops my bad...if you are transplanting x4 search for x4 and so on.

snkdriver can search for mcamx6 all he likes.
    It's X4 he needs to transplant.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Sorry but please do not follow Neil20 or Serjack as this two options will not give you good results. as for sure there were major changes between X4 and X6 directorys and you stated X4.

Now what are you wanting to move over beside the CNC_Machine and say the Mill folder these will contain the Machines and post files along with tool libraries and Material lib's that you made on the laptop.

Now are you looking to move over your configaration of MC?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .