585,676 active members*
5,522 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Newbie Q regarding initial setup

I'm so excited, I achieved the first stepper movement today. :cheers:

I cobbled up (on the workbench) a power supply, 3 gecko stepper drivers (using the JP5 RJ45 for the stepper drivers) and 3 stepper motors. I prayed, stood back, got behind something solid and flipped on the power switch. No smoke so that was good. But no movement, not with the KmotionCNC keyboard jog buttons or with the gamepad.

I fired up Kmotion and the console window and tried again. This time I got error messages that pos limits had disabled the axes. I have no limit switches hooked up now (I did earlier when testing/experimenting with limit switches and blinking LED's with them).

So, finally, my question: I went into the init file and saw the limits were turned on for all axes. I then went back to Kmotion - Configuration Screen and re-setup all the axes, one at a time, with the limits turned off. Pasted the new clipboard text for all the axes over the old code and resaved the init file. Of course I downloaded each axis's info to the Kflop when I redid each axis.

Q1) Did I need to do that or could I have just edited the one line for each axis in the init file ? Did I need to re-download all the axis info each time I made a change to the config screen ?

I have a feeling I'll be tweaking things quite a bit as I learn and I was wondering if each little change needs to be 're-configured' and downloaded into the Kflop as well as changed in the init file ?

Q2) One last question: if going from version 4.29 to 4.30 for example, do these configuration screens need to be regenerated from scratch and re-downloaded.

Thanks a ton and I'm loving it!

Hi,

Glad you are having fun. The various ways to set parameters in KFLOP is a bit confusing. Basically you can normally just use KMotion.exe to change parameters on the screens and push "Move" on the Step Response Screen to immediately have them downloaded and observe the effect. Then only after everything is settled and working make the C program from those that will be used by Applications to initialize the system. We made a Flash Video to help explain things:

http://www.dynomotion.com/Help/Flash...ers/index.html

Regarding changing versions, you can usually copy the contents of the

<Install Directory>\KMotion\Data

from the old version to the new and most of the settings should carry over.

HTH
    Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Thanks, that helps. I had watched that at least twice before I received the Kflop but apparently it had not sunk in. I guess the third time's the charm. LOL Thanks again.

I just wanted to mention that for the last few days I've been learning the kflop and the software by experimenting with everything on the bench. My laptop usually connected right up to the kflop over the USB but occasionally I had to unplug/regplug the USB to get it to connect. I've been using USB power for the kflop/kanalog.

Today I had a difficult time getting it to connect at all. So I finally hooked up a 5 volt power supply and now it connects instantly, every time. My old laptop probably isn't the strongest and I've been adding inputs. If you have any weirdness I'd suggest trying an external supply. I get insta-connections now.