585,981 active members*
4,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Is making a part as easy as drawing it in 3d?

Is making a part as easy as drawing it in 3d?

After my router is built.... is it just as easy to have the router make a part as drawing it in 3d?

It can't be this easy..... is it? I mean I am getting pretty good at using Alibre to draw router parts... ok I am COPYING the drawing's but still drawing them from scratch using existing measurements.... basic shapes

No.....Thier are many more things to consider when cuttinf parts. Like how will you hold it down, How fast to feed, how deep per pass ect , ect. You will want some cam software to help with this,but you still need to know what you are doing. Once you learn the ropes it will not be too hard to make parts after drawing them.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

I plan on using Mach2 (or 3), anything other software.. something to convert to g-code any recommendations? Is there a sticky for all this?

To convert your cad to g-code you will need a cam package. Which one you choose will depend on your budget and what you intend to make with it. If your work is 2d then I would recomnd you check out sheetcam and if you will be doing 3d profiling check out meshcam. These two cam packages will give the best bang for the buck if on a tight budget. If you have a deeper pockets you should check out One CNC XR.

Will meshcam do 2d also?

If your parts are mostly cut from panels, like the JGRO parts, the best way is to export 2D .dxf's from Alibre into SheetCAM. There's a thread here somewhere about doing just that using Xpress.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Randy,

I played with Alibre a bit and was able to cut parts with it. It bet your router parts are really 2.5D and not really 3D. It seems like you basically want to cut things out as compared to milling the top to a particular thickness. (?) Do you understand the difference? It makes a big distinction in the CAM that you pick.

This is how I did it with Alibre.

Sheet Cam is cheap (and free for a demo). Also free is the Zone’s own CamBam over in the software section. MeshCam will give you real 3D if that is what your want. There are many more options that will give you more control for a price.

Steve

Working in solids via CAD is NOT the same as making a part out of a solid chunk of whatever. It is easy to draw it but not as easy to remove the metal as cited by emanSoh.

THe cad guys at a former employer were GREAT tube jockeys. Their parts were a nightmare to make at times because they never could think like a machinist nor did they deal with the realities of removing metal. Do the drawing, get it done, throw it over the wall, when it doesn't work say "but the CAD said it could be done", shrug shoulders and walk away (sipping coffee all the while).

ON the other hand, we had a machinist who decided to learn CAD (health reason) and he became an awesome designer because he already knew how to remove metal.

If I could make it happen, I'd have my CAD guys work as apprentice's BEFORE i'd let them drive a tube. A dose of reality goes a long way.

Software (unless it it really good) NEVER knows as much as a machinist who's had to do a "how the heck am I gonna do THAT!?!?!?" when confronted with a poorly thought out CAD gem ....

I was lucky enough to grow up in a machine shop and make chips long before I ever did a cad drawing. In my job now I do some design work and am always thinking as I do somthing in cad, how will it be machined. When it comes time to make the parts it is easy because it was designed to be machined. This has been a great aid to me.

As someone who has done a little bit of machine work, and rather more following pencil drawings over the wall instead of just throwing them, I find this very encouraging.

Anything Can Be Made If Your Cam Not Your Cad Can Do The Code Anything Can Be Held While Machining But Is The Form Needed Vs The Cost Of Machining All Engineers Should Be Made To First Debur A Part And Then How To Run A Machine Before They Run The Tube If Not They Are Bubes

Ok what is a tube?

Cathode Ray Tube.....oh......sorry your monitor....and I don't mean the lizzard.

You have to merge the design elements with the practical machine elements....otherwise....well.....it don't work well......

Talking

Oh I see.. Slang for monitor, well I use a flat panel and so do millions of others so I think you need to consider a new slang term soon. :cheers: