585,880 active members*
3,930 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > How to manually set work offset for Z

How to manually set work offset for Z

I've been spoiled by the probe and I can't figure out how to manually set multiple work offsets with Z value. Currently, I set all Z work offset G54, G55, G56 to zero and compensate for the varying work offset heights in the program, ie add (-.200) to Z value for G55 and etc.

Is there a better way to do this?

thanks,

John

Check the manual. Call up the tool you wish to use for setting. Touch it to the G54 work zero point. On the work offset screen, highlight the G54 Z value. Press the work offset measure button. Repeat process for remaining work offset points.

Wait, why aren't you using the probe to set the Z height?

How were the tool lengths set, using the Renishaw presetter or somewhere else?

The answer to your question depends on how you did everything else.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Check the manual. Call up the tool you wish to use for setting. Touch it to the G54 work zero point. On the work offset screen, highlight the G54 Z value. Press the work offset measure button. Repeat process for remaining work offset points.
    I touch off all the tools on the table, then I touch off T01 on the top of the part. However, when I tried to run the program in simulation I get Z over travel error.

I think that's how the manual described setting tool and work offset but I couldn't get it to work and ended up touching off all the tools on G54 and setting all work offset z value to zero and adjust the program Z values to compensate for the part height difference between the G54, G55 and G56.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    Wait, why aren't you using the probe to set the Z height?

How were the tool lengths set, using the Renishaw presetter or somewhere else?

The answer to your question depends on how you did everything else.
    I am running a very basic SR-100 router with no probe and no tool changer. It's a very basic machine and even a simple manual tool change took me long while to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJW View Post
    I touch off all the tools on the table, then I touch off T01 on the top of the part. However, when I tried to run the program in simulation I get Z over travel error.

I think that's how the manual described setting tool and work offset but I couldn't get it to work and ended up touching off all the tools on G54 and setting all work offset z value to zero and adjust the program Z values to compensate for the part height difference between the G54, G55 and G56.
    I suspect an error in your programming causing over travel.

It depends on what you're using to qualify the tool offsets.

In simple situations where you only have one work offset to bother with, you can oftentimes get away with setting the TLO right at your Z origin point. Here all your TLOs are negative numbers and your G54 Z is zero.
    The downside to that is you have to reset all tools when you switch to a new origin, and also if your Z origin reference on the workpiece gets machined away you have to get creative to set up new tools in case of breakage.

The alternative to that is setting the TLO using a common point like a 1-2-3 block or something universal to the parts you're making. The TLO values from this would be negative as well, then are offset using work offset Z. For this you just need to measure the height difference between your TLO reference point and the Z origin of your program. (a couple ways to do that depending on how accurate you want it to be)