585,925 active members*
3,594 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Dynapath > Lagunmatic 310 with a dynapath issue

Lagunmatic 310 with a dynapath issue

Greetings!

I hope you're out there making some chips!...thanks for taking some time to help me out.

I have a recently acquired Lagunmatic 310 mill.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	machines 002.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	175021

Previous owner had a dead screen/keyboard, sent a board in to be repaired (spent $1000).

Name:	WP_000102.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	175027 (the board on the right, with 2 ports and connectors

Once he reinstalled the board-no change! So the mill sat for 8 years, and is now in my ownership. I have been troubleshooting and have a few answers, more questions. For one, no response on screen or keyboard. I attached an external monitor, and there is some life! The dynapath boots, but no inputs on control box have any effect. I figured the problem had been mis-diagnosed, and sure enough there was some damage on the circuit board behind the control panel!

Name:	WP_000095.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	175028 (board in control box)

Name:	machines 008.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	175022 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	machines 009.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	175023 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mill board 006.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	175025 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mill board 005.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	175026

Name:	mill board 001.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	175024

I labeled what I understood, as those contacts show continuity between GND and +5v.

What are some thoughts seeing this damage? I understand the plug in chip to be programmed, so no good to try and simply replace that I assume. Is that IC it is also attached to (labeled Y) also suspect? I'm considering an entire control box on Ebay, but that always scares me (regarding compatibility, function, etc). I'm more inclined to invest time and money converting this mill AWAY from dynapath than diving deeper into an ancient technology.

Thanks kindly for your help and advice, I always appreciate the time people will spend to help total strangers! I would gladly repay with some parts made on my lathe or grinder if I can get this mill up and running-Hey a little incentive doesn't hurt. Of course, who on the forum doesn't have those machines themselves

Travis

Dynapath monitor

I also have a dynapath with monitor problems. Mine is a 20 series. Could you let me know how you connected the external monitor?

Thanks
    Mike

monitor

mike,

You can hook the monitor up where the CRT plugs into it (VGA style cable). In the control box (the one keypad an monitor in it) you will find a long gray cord. It should be the VGA from the video card. Simply disconnect the CRT and put in the LCD or whatever you have. I plugged my monitor power up to the outlet in my Lagun.

Update: I am scrapping the Dynapath and opting for Mesa card/LinuxCNC. Should get started this weekend after parts get in from Mesa.

Travis

Re: Lagunmatic 310 with a dynapath issue

I have always liked the Lagunmatics, looks like yours is a real sweetheart . How's it running for ya? I'm a little jealous !

Attachment 253164

Thanks man! see the attached photo, one of the first pics of a test cut I made (thanking the guy who gave me my machinery.) It is running great, I just need to clean up some wiring but otherwise good. I converted electronics to run from a Mesa card mounted to a Linux OS on a PC. I still dont own a CAD/CAM system, and BodCad will be my choice when I save some more $$$..

We were moving our house, so i packed the mill up. Move fell thru, so its been sitting for awhile! Need some motivation to make the time and set it back up and start making some stuff..

tkr

I just recently purchased a Tree Journeyman 325 and it has the Dynapath 20 . I find it a little goofy compared to the Fadal at work. I just got the Tree on Saturday, so I haven't really got a lot of time to play with the control. Everyone says its a good control once you figure it out.

I had my control box open this morning and took a look at the video connections one looks like an RS-232 but with more pens and then it next down after the board to a CRT J1 connection. Does anybody have an idea how to hook this up to a computer monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by mt92 View Post
    I had my control box open this morning and took a look at the video connections one looks like an RS-232 but with more pens and then it next down after the board to a CRT J1 connection. Does anybody have an idea how to hook this up to a computer monitor?
    mt92:

Your Delta 20 is not the same as travkroberts' Delta 40 (?) controller so his solution for a VGA computer monitor will likely not work for you.

You may get better information if you start another thread with specific information on your machine (photos could possibly help as well).

For what it's worth, one website selling replacement monitors claims the Delta 20 control needs a monitor with a composite video signal. A composite video signal is what is found on the yellow RCA video-in connector on most TVs. A composite video signal is carried on a shielded coaxial cable; if you find such a cable going to the CRT connector then that is likely the one carrying the signal. I don't have a Delta 20 so I don't have a way to confirm any of this information and make no claims as to its accuracy. Anyone acting on this information is doing so at their own risk! Please note that feeding an incorrect or incompatible video signal into a monitor can cause permanent damage to the monitor and possibly also to the controller.

Good luck with your repair.

RT

I believe that was the old EGA connector. Looks like a db9 but was a db15 or something. 20s were different than the 40s for sure.