585,599 active members*
3,476 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Hobbycnc (Products) > Z axis stop working after 10 sec

Z axis stop working after 10 sec

I have the pro board and 3 305oz steppers. Everything worked fine before the
    rebuilt. then the Z axis would hang up on every turn so I replace the stepper
    and it worked flying fast with a lot of power, but now after 10 sec the driver
    will stop working. At first I would last about 2 mins but now it starts to shuts
    down after 10 sec.
    I tested the volts at the motor and have 0 volts....Would this be the IC chip or
    something else and did the bad stepper blow the chip?
    This is a video of the new built doing over 1000 ipm on jogging it around.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ubFEadw67U]CNC doing a 1000 inches a min - YouTube[/ame]
    Thanks for the help
    Trell

bump

Quote Originally Posted by Trell View Post
    I tested the volts at the motor and have 0 volts....Would this be the IC chip or
    something else and did the bad stepper blow the chip?
    I do not have a hobbycnc board, and so I'm not sure that I can give you any useful advice, but perhaps you could clarify something.

Exactly where did you measure the motor voltage?

The hobbycnc pro driver is used with two-winding, 6-wire motors and a unipolar hookup. Each winding has three wires - a center tap plus two end wires.

You should be able to measure the full motor voltage at the center tap of each winding. The other motor leads will alternately be switched to ground in a sequence determined by the SLA7078MR driver chip (and the step and direction inputs to the chip).

How does your voltage reading for the Z axis compare with the readings for the other axes?

no matter how I measured voltage on the Z axis, it shows 0 V on any terminal and this is at the motor or at the board. My thoughts are that it is a bad IC chip but I was trying to figure out if the bad step drive motor is what made chip go bad.
    All the other drive work fine and the voltage is right on all the other drives. I went ahead and ordered a IC chip and hopefully that will fix the issue with the board.
    Thanks for your help I will keep you posted
    Trell