585,712 active members*
4,139 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Part programming help

Hi guys. I'm new to Solidcam and looking for a bit of a tutorial on this part. I have watched a bunch of videos and read various tutorials so I understand most of the processes but having problems with the location of the buttons.
    I have downloaded a 15 day trial of solidcam but have not installed it yet. I want to be familiar with it before the count down starts.
    So on to the questions and processes:
    This part (sldprt attached) will be run on a 97 Haas VF-3 with 4th axis (three jaw chuck). As I see it, I would first face off the ends then turn down the cylindrical portion. How do you choose the 4th axis turn? And how do you figure the 4th axis turn speed as related to the spindle speed?
    Second I would drill the side holes, chamfer one side, rotate 180, and chamfer the other side.
    Third the slot would be next. I have a .25 carbide with a depth of cut of .75, so I would have to slot half way down and rotate 180 and slot the other side. Or would you choose a smaller bit and iMachine the slot?
    Fourth and the part that gets me....the small chamfer at the end. Since we have swapped axis, we can no longer move in the Y direction so how would we accomplish this? Flat mill with a roundnose tip in X?

Is this the order you would do it?

Thanks for looking and your help.

Darth yoda
    Attached Files Attached Files