585,996 active members*
4,510 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CMOS BATTERY QUESTION

Hello im wondering if i leave my machine off for extended periods of time im talking like 6 months will the cmos battery be dead before too long. how can i set it up to not drain? this is a centurion 6 retro fit onto a partner 4

I'm far from an expert on these controls, but I think the onboard batteries are limited in the amount of time without power. I don't think I'd trust it past a month or two. Given the Milltronics control is PC based and runs on 120V, just run an extension cord to the Tripplite power conditioner you should have in there and leave the pc portion plugged in.

Get into the BIOS and write down ALL of the settings. It will be brain dead in 6 months.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Like with most things, the answer is "it depends" - Is this a motherboard or an SBC card? How new is the battery?, Will the machine be kept at room temp? Can you power it up periodically during the down time?

I've had my loaner computers go for months sitting in the shelf without problems, but your experience may be different.