585,668 active members*
4,382 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > Anyone's Huanyang VFD temperature function work ?

Anyone's Huanyang VFD temperature function work ?

Does anyone's Huanyang VFD temperature function work ? My 2.2kw vfd just shows a C000.0 on the display. I've read some reports of some units not having sensors mounted inside the vfd and I was just wondering if only some had working temperature features or if none did.

I've been learning to communicate with it over a modbus connection and the temperature reading always comes back zero over the rs485 as well. I just want to make sure it's the vfd's issue and not my software. LOL thanks

same issue here, anyone have an idea? please share it

Re: Anyone's Huanyang VFD temperature function work ?

Quote Originally Posted by czralv View Post
    Does anyone's Huanyang VFD temperature function work ? My 2.2kw vfd just shows a C000.0 on the display. I've read some reports of some units not having sensors mounted inside the vfd and I was just wondering if only some had working temperature features or if none did.

I've been learning to communicate with it over a modbus connection and the temperature reading always comes back zero over the rs485 as well. I just want to make sure it's the vfd's issue and not my software. LOL thanks
    Hello, I have the same message, do you already know what it means?

Quote Originally Posted by czralv View Post

" 0 Inverter Temperature " There is a Parameter PD170 /171 that need to be set you may then be able to see something, PD170 this parameter is only valid when Bit 2 is set to 1 in PD171
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    " 0 Inverter Temperature " There is a Parameter PD170 /171 that need to be set you may then be able to see something, PD170 this parameter is only valid when Bit 2 is set to 1 in PD171
    Thanks but still not working
    I set pd170 = 0
    and I tried every number with the pd171 and still temp = zero!

Quote Originally Posted by Graphicman View Post
    Thanks but still not working
    I set pd170 = 0
    and I tried every number with the pd171 and still temp = zero!
    I have never seen one that output the temperature in the drive display, some have read the temperature from the heatsink, but not sure why you would want to know this anyway as the drive will fault out if the temperature goes over it's programed set point which can be changed only in the drives main software which you don't have assess to unless you have the required codes to get at those Parameters
    Mactec54

I had heard a couple places that the HY VFD is not exactly MODBUS compatible. It sounds like you have it working though even if you are unable to get a temp reading. Are you using MODBUS to control the device, or just reading status?

I have never seen one that output the temperature in the drive display, some have read the temperature from the heatsink, but not sure why you would want to know this anyway as the drive will fault out if the temperature goes over it's programed set point which can be changed only in the drives main software which you don't have assess to unless you have the required codes to get at those Parameters
    "why you would want to know this anyway"
    it will be the same reason for "read the temperature from the heatsink" but much easier
    btw i have already placed a sensor on the heatsink a while ago but when I saw your reply I was curious to activate it
    btw I would doubt that the drive will stop when it reaches a certain temp simply because there is a high chance that there is no sensor already since it does not want to show the temp whatsoever

I don't understand your statement mactek54. "not sure why you would want to know this anyway as the drive will fault out if the temperature goes over it's programed set point". If the temperature can be read from the VFD, wouldn't you want to read it and know that your machine is going to crash ahead of time. If the drive faults out, wouldn't that have the potential of causing a crash?

Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    I don't understand your statement mactek54. "not sure why you would want to know this anyway as the drive will fault out if the temperature goes over it's programed set point". If the temperature can be read from the VFD, wouldn't you want to read it and know that your machine is going to crash ahead of time. If the drive faults out, wouldn't that have the potential of causing a crash?
    And do you know what temperature it is going to shut down any number you see would be meaningless

You have no way to control the temperature of the VFD Drive the fan is it's cooling so if the fan is not running it is going to over heat and shut down

If your VFD Drive has been installed correctly in your cabinet, how are you going to see what is on the screen of the VFD Drive

If the VFD Drive has been working for some time it's not going to all of a sudden shut down from over heating, unless your Parameters are not set correct for what it is driving
    Mactec54

"why you would want to know this anyway"
    it will be the same reason for "read the temperature from the heatsink" but much easier
    btw i have already placed a sensor on the heatsink a while ago but when I saw your reply I was curious to activate it
    btw I would doubt that the drive will stop when it reaches a certain temp simply because there is a high chance that there is no sensor already since it does not want to show the temp whatsoever
    If your VFD Drive is installed correctly you would not be able to see the screen, and even if you could you don't know what temperature it is going to shut down at anyway

Try it and you will see it will shut down disconnect the fan it will over heat and shut down, but don't be surprised if you damage some electronic components by doing this, I don't recommend anyone do this as it may turn your VFD Drive into Junk
    Mactec54

If your VFD Drive is installed correctly you would not be able to see the screen, and even if you could you don't know what temperature it is going to shut down at anyway

Try it and you will see it will shut down disconnect the fan it will over heat and shut down, but don't be surprised if you damage some electronic components by doing this, I don't recommend anyone do this as it may turn your VFD Drive into Junk
    first of all my vfd is infront of me not in a far closed cabinet
    secondly i would not keep looking at the temp all the time, you do that in the beginning of using it in different situations like hot weather, prolonged cycle times or both, then you know its behavior and stop tracking it
    thirdly and most importantly: it is a function of the vfd that does not work and like I said it could mean that there is no sensor wutsoever from the first place which means the vfd will not shutdown by itself if overheated

anyways like I said I have already installed an external temp monitor for this + a sensor so that the fan work only starting from 40c for a quieter operation and less dust on the heatsink

first of all my vfd is infront of me not in a far closed cabinet
    secondly i would not keep looking at the temp all the time, you do that in the beginning of using it in different situations like hot weather, prolonged cycle times or both, then you know its behavior and stop tracking it
    thirdly and most importantly: it is a function of the vfd that does not work and like I said it could mean that there is no sensor wutsoever from the first place which means the vfd will not shutdown by itself if overheated

anyways like I said I have already installed an external temp monitor for this + a sensor so that the fan work only starting from 40c for a quieter operation and less dust on the heatsink
    It does not list it as a feature so why should it show it, it has no use what's so ever for the user

So if you have it in front of you then you don't have it install how it should be used wired, and are just blowing smoke, 40c how did you arrive at that number, ( playing God )

Will it shut down yes it will that is why it has the RST terminals this is used if the VFD Drive faults the rest of your machine can be shut down by using this connection, ( this only happens if you have it wired correctly )

A VFD Drive was never meant to be used in a residential setting, so must be installed to comply with all EMI requirements

40 Years installing and repairing VFD Drives all I can say is (nuts)
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    I should of explained a little better seeing you are concerned about a crash, your machine can not crash if everything is wired correctly, if the VFD Drive has a fault of any kind you machine should also shut down, it's all about how you chose to wire your machine RST terminal is used in your safety circuit it's as simple as that, Drive faults everything shuts down no crash can happen
    Mactec54

Typically what you would do to manage/monitor instrumentation is that a computer would collect all the data that is pertinent and make decisions based on the data. For the VFD, you could read motor current, VFD current, Line Voltage, Output Voltage, temperature... If any of these parameters are exhibiting out of the ordinary behavior, then you could take action based on the data. Since czralv is using the RTU port to perform the monitoring, it makes no difference where it is because all the monitoring is done remotely.

Personally, if I was able to do remote monitoring of my system, I would want to take action BEFORE any one component shuts down causing a crash. There are a bunch of things that could cause the VFD temperature to increase to dangerous levels. Maybe the cabinet filter is clogged, maybe the power is sagging, maybe the VFD is going bad (it was made in China).

To try to make the argument that the data is not important if you have installed it properly seems silly to me. The data is what verifies that you have installed it properly. If the temp is in the good range, that means that there is enough air flow and that your system is working within spec. There are lots of parameters that you don't need to know. You don't have to be able to see the drive current information, but if you want to know when you are getting close to exceeding your spindle load it is helpful to be able to see it.

I think being able to collect this kind of data is what differentiates professional machines from hobby machines. When the technician comes out to diagnose a problem with your machine the first thing they would look at is the log. The log says that the VFD temperature limit was exceeded, they replace the VFD. There is no reason that a hobby machine can't do the same thing since it is so easy to be able to collect data also.