585,933 active members*
3,785 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Catching small parts

I have to setup a small part on a Citizen L20, My problem is catching the part
    the cutting oil cause's parts to stick to the sub spindle. Tried blowing air through the sub spindle but parts go ever where. This is a spacer with a 0.165 od X 0.125 id. X 0.040 thick. Just wondering if you guys have ever had a problem with catching small parts and what you may have done to fix the problem...

You mean the washer sticks to the knock out pin? then if you use the air blow it shoots the part into oblivion?

If that is the case Ive run some small parts that like to shoot all over the machine. I'll take some thin yet rigid plastic sheeting and create a little cubicle to contain the parts when they shoot out. If your citizen has the arm that extends then you probably cant do this... If your material is magnetic you can put a strong magnet in the basket to attract the part. Ive done that too. Just clear out your basket before they pile up and jam up the arm. If you're not making too many you might just want to pick them out of the chips.
    CNC Product Manager / Training Consultant

I made a small plastic funnel that lead into a poly tube. I made mine out of delrin and turned a hose barb on the back. Mount that plastic funnel on the parts catcher so that it's concentric with the sub. Then route that tub into a small quart container with a screw on lid.

Move the sub to within .010-.020" of the funnel and turn the air blow on. I pulse the air once or twice.

This has worked for me for parts .020" in dia, just size your funnel and tube accordingly.

Dan

Just a though, but is the material Magnetic ? If so try Demagnetizing the sub spindle collet, and or pusher if that's made out of something magnetic..Sub spindle collets seem to get some magnetic properties over time. Maybe try using your cutting oil to was the part out, rather air, it will probably be more controlable.

The material isn't magnetic, so a magnet is out of the question. But I do like Dan's method with the plastic tube. I appreciate all of the post, but if anyone out there has some more ideas keep them coming....Thanks tool-nose.

i use a small akro bin and a drawstring mesh bag

i cut a hole in the bottom of the akro bin put the bag around it and clamp it to my normal parts chute.

butt the sub up to the bin open the collet, kick ejector and turn on air blow(if you have through spindle coolant that would work better

before this i was losing 30% to the chip conveyor and the parts were so small they got inside my parts conveyor and ruined the belt

I got 2 options for you to try.
    1st . Put some grooves on the tip of the knock out so that there is no flat surface that would allow the oil to stick with the part (99% chance this will work).
    2nd . Mount a wire hook on one of the back work station and eject your part there. What I don't like about this option is that you have to stop the machine to get parts out or do any inspection.
    Good luck.

PVC canister

We took a piece of copper pipe about 5/8 od and18 inches long then took front door off. This is on a Citizen K-16. Then bend pipe so your sub ejects into it. Then on other end take a plastic bottle like cyclist use and run pipe into it. The copper pipe works somewhat better than PVC tubing in regards to oil causing parts to stick.