584,841 active members*
4,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > ZW3D CAM > ZW3D comments requested

ZW3D comments requested

Guys,

I'm a bit concerned about the level of inactivity in the forum but I will give it a go anyhow. Years ago I had indirect involvement with both VX CAD/CAM and in another situation ZWCAD. Our opinion was that VX was a bit clumsy but at the end of the day a very capable product. I remember 3 or so years ago that VX was purchased by the Chinese company ZWSOFT and perhaps re-branded as ZW3D. Appears as if some of the development staff is still in Florida but sales, marketing, and support seem to have gone away.

Is there anyone that would care to comment in how it's going with ZW3D in the United States.

Appears as if finding US based dealers and technical support may be a challenge.

Perhaps someone that either moved from VX to ZW3D or maybe just made an recent purchase of ZW3D.

My main focus in considering ZW3D would be for mold design, CNC machining of the cavities, cores, and electrodes, and some design and CNC machining of work holding fixtures.

Thanks,

Adam

Hi Adam,

I think you summarized it pretty well....

I bought VX a year or so before they were purchased by the Chinese company. They had a nice product and fantastic support. I am still using the program but not likely to update as I just don't see them supporting the US market.

The only thing I have heard from them in many months are from their re-sellers wanting to sell upgrades. Real glad I purchased a dongle for the program so it can be moved between PC's.

Robert

response to Robert

Robert,

Thanks for your response. Though a decent number look at these posts not that many create new ones or respond.

The things you say are in line with some of what I've dug up in my research. Interesting is that I'm definitely getting conflicting information (some good, some bad) about the US resellers and the Chinese owners.

About the only consistent thing I hear is that it still is a good product. I don't have a lot of money and for in the area of $7,000 it seems to have good modeling and maybe not the best but still decent 2 axis mill and lathe and 3 axis CAM. Not everyone needs it but to me the hybrid modeling is sweet. I'm from the old school and the ability to work in wireframe, surfaces, and solids is right up my alley. They also now appear to have some direct editing. For me these modeling and editing capabilities allow me to accomplish a great deal more that I can in SolidWorks or Inventor.

I recently priced out a few combinations of CAD and CAM and the prices were at least double or triple the cost of ZW3D.

Adam

Hi Adam,

I don't have their CAM option as I have been using SprutCam. I won't comment on Sprut as it is another can of worms! As you mentioned, the hybrid modeling is the part of the program I really like as well.

I like SolidEdge but the yearly subscription fees are just to much for a person with an expensive hobby. Yes, trying to figure out what to spend the $'s on is a real challange.

Robert

Robert,

Yeah my days of dealing with mid-range modelers (SW, SE, IV, PTC) are over. There's a place for these products in manufacturing and design but it's not me.

I've found a reseller that I think I will be able to work with and get support from so I will probably give the ZW3D premium version a try.

Thanks for your input on this.

Adam

Adam,

Thanks for your input as well.... Let us know how it goes.

Robert

Re: ZW3D comments requested

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Hubert View Post
    Robert,

Yeah my days of dealing with mid-range modelers (SW, SE, IV, PTC) are over. There's a place for these products in manufacturing and design but it's not me.

I've found a reseller that I think I will be able to work with and get support from so I will probably give the ZW3D premium version a try.

Thanks for your input on this.

Adam
    How did it go with ZW3D Adam?

Quote Originally Posted by Trill View Post
    How did it go with ZW3D Adam?
    Hi Trill

I know that the post was long time ago. In case that there are friends are looking for the similar information, I would like to add the reply here.

Now ZW3D 2019 is being introduced with big enhancements for both of CAD and CAM. For instance, history reply is up-to 10 times faster, new flexible sub-assembly is available for complex assembly design, new voluMill has been introduced to increase machining efficiency with decreased tool cost. And here is the youtube channel, please take one or two minutes to have a brief update information.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaM...OtEbID4YEgEcaA

Best regards
    Colin