585,763 active members*
4,463 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Drawbar spring question on fadal vmc15

Drawbar spring question on fadal vmc15

I just dissasembled the drawbar to change the springs. How many springs should there be? I have a 7500rpm grease packed spindle with the older drawbar with the 2 retainers. I pulled out 42 springs. None were broken, but I can tell by the crusty grease they haven't been changed in a long time. I have a manual for a newer model machine and it has 42 springs in the pic, but the instruction sheet that came with the springs says 44. Should I just install 42 new springs like what came out of the machine? The new spring stack measured 1/4" longer that the old stack, so I know it's going to work better. Are the two extra springs for the newer model drawbar that doesn't use the 2 retainers?
    thanks,
    Ed

I would go with the 42, you could try the 44 but i bet it wont go together. Ive put new spings in and if you have to many you cant compress them enough to assemble the top. Remember to stack the washers in the right order.

Also be carefull. If you put in too many springs, there is a chance that when the drawbar unclamps, it could compress them too far and break a few.

Just a F.Y.I.

I called the fadal tech department. They said 42 springs. They also said the 2 retention clips should be on the second groove from the top of the drawbar. The top groove is for retaining a seal used in the through spindle coolant systems.