585,665 active members*
3,816 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy KL4030 Drivers

Is anyone running the KL4030 drivers with a C11 breakout board? My machine has been dead for about three weeks now, and I can't seem to find where the problem is. At first I thought it was the inexpensive C10 board so I bought the C11. Then I tried three different computers. all with fresh XP and Mach3 installs. The power supply is outputting 35.4 volts ( it's a 36v supply). I put a scope on the step outputs and I am getting a good waveform and the direction outputs are reading .2v low and 4.89v for the high. I have direction and step all the way to the terminals on the drivers. When I E-mailed Keling asking what the idle voltage should be across the A- to A+ and B- to B+ all I got was " if the motors lock on powerup the drivers are fine" At idle I'm getting 0v across the A-,A+ and 76v across the B-,B+. I've tried every conceivable Mach3 setting, board jumper, and driver micro stepping setting combination possible. Any ideas? :drowning:
    I don't mind beating a dead horse for a little while, but after all these wasted hours, I have a feeling I should have gone with Geckos. Any opinions?

Greg

if the motors lock on powerup the drivers are fine
    Do they?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Yes they do lock up. One thing I did notice is sometimes when I power up I'll hear the bump as they lock up and sometimes I don't. But they still are locked at idle.
    Oh and yes I did check to make sure the wire insulation on all my connections was stripped back far enough.
    I got new "chips" for the C10 board so I'm going to re-try that board tonight.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Metalbender View Post
    Yes they do lock up. One thing I did notice is sometimes when I power up I'll hear the bump as they lock up and sometimes I don't. But they still are locked at idle.
    Oh and yes I did check to make sure the wire insulation on all my connections was stripped back far enough.
    I got new "chips" for the C10 board so I'm going to re-try that board tonight.

Greg
    pls following this wiring
    http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...030WithC10.pdf

mach3 set up

Mach3 set up for kit and machine, Download here
    Mach3 Setup (Mach3Mill.xml file)
    Mach3setup
    Mach3Tutorial

High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Automation Technology Inc

or call our office

. . .been beating on this for awhile. I enlisted help from a friend here at work. Denny spent a lot of lunch hours tracing and track the pulses. A scope showed that the pulses were at about 6 volts. After 5 frustrating days of dinkin' around Denny decided to put a pot on the step output from the breakout board and by adjusting it up he arrived at 1000 ohms as the ideal resistance. Anything less would make the motors stall or not run at all. There is a very vague reference to this resistor in the pulse wire, in the documents I downloaded from Keling's site, but no base value as a starting point is given. I also see a reference to a resistor in the direction wire also. Again no base starting value is given. You're kind of left on your own to figure it out.

So I ( actually Denny) finally got my motors to move again. Now on to the Mach 3 forum to find out why they move in reverse when running a program only. If jogging or using MDI they move correctly.

This CNC is no longer an obsession . . .it's an incurable disease!!!

Greg

Go to leadshine.com and look at the user manual for an M550.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalbender View Post
    . . .been beating on this for awhile. I enlisted help from a friend here at work. Denny spent a lot of lunch hours tracing and track the pulses. A scope showed that the pulses were at about 6 volts. After 5 frustrating days of dinkin' around Denny decided to put a pot on the step output from the breakout board and by adjusting it up he arrived at 1000 ohms as the ideal resistance. Anything less would make the motors stall or not run at all. There is a very vague reference to this resistor in the pulse wire, in the documents I downloaded from Keling's site, but no base value as a starting point is given. I also see a reference to a resistor in the direction wire also. Again no base starting value is given. You're kind of left on your own to figure it out.

So I ( actually Denny) finally got my motors to move again. Now on to the Mach 3 forum to find out why they move in reverse when running a program only. If jogging or using MDI they move correctly.

This CNC is no longer an obsession . . .it's an incurable disease!!!

Greg
    Glad to hear you got the motor to move.

This is a system ( hardware, software, configuration), if there is a mistake, it takes time to figure out.
    Pls let us know if you have more concerns
    http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/