585,744 active members*
5,133 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Magnetic Chuck for Milling Machine...?

Can I use a magnetic chuck to hold my workpiece on a milling machine?

Thanks a bunch,
    Jason.

Yes and its been done. But be REAL careful with your DOCs..... you will throw your parts if you get too anxious...
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

Yes to some extent, but probably not something to be reccomended.

The issues are one that it is easy to throw a part off the chuck if a mill grabs. The other being that tall parts that can pivots provide a moment arm that can easiyl break the magnetic seal. In either case you have to worry about the part sliding around on the vise.

Generally I could only reccomend such usage when thin parts need to be machined and the magnetic vise is supplement to other holding technologies. By thin I mean thin enough that the chuck could pull the part to the face of the chuck.

Dave

Exactly, a mag chuck would be a last resort for a special operation.
    Double sided heat activated bonding tape would be far better to use for parts that cannot be held in a vise or by clamping.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

I have been using one a lot lately - depends on the size of your part and the flatness - even a large part will let go if it's not flat, so be careful.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

hi..

we use magnets very regularly for milling.. even badly warped parts can be held very securely for milling... it all depends upon the magnet you are using.. if you need more assistance you can ask. i can send you some of the applications we do with magnets.... very heavy material removal can be done now a days with good clamping force...

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    Exactly, a mag chuck would be a last resort for a special operation.
    Double sided heat activated bonding tape would be far better to use for parts that cannot be held in a vise or by clamping.
    Spray adhesive which is allowed to cure also works for thin stuff.

tdsfu, I do not remember the brand name, but there are commercially available magnetic workholding devices. Some are used on heavy milling/boring machines including Vertical Boring Mills. I always wondered what happens when the chips are magnetized.
    DZASTR

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD ZASTROW View Post
    tdsfu, I do not remember the brand name, but there are commercially available magnetic workholding devices. Some are used on heavy milling/boring machines including Vertical Boring Mills. I always wondered what happens when the chips are magnetized.
    hi

we manufacture magnetic beds and also use them in our own machine shops..

the chips do get magnetized but with high pressure air or coolent the chips move away very easily.. the trick is to use the magnet.. Magnets dont replacve vice in all applications but the can assist in clamping...
    if it is ferrous in nature magnet is the easisiet way to clamp it..

for more detials you can visit our website www.sardamagnets.com we have a good team of engineers and for any application would be happy to help you...

magnets do have their share of problems then so does all other clamping methods.

dhiruj