585,715 active members*
3,867 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Part form main to sub spindle problems on Fanuc 18i-TB Viper VT3000 YMS

Part form main to sub spindle problems on Fanuc 18i-TB Viper VT3000 YMS

Im currentle running a copy of a program already on the controller.

The sub spindle (w-axis) travels to the set point, clamps the part and the main spindle opens.

Then the spindles just keep turning and the w-axis do not retract as it is suposed to.

No feed hold, or alarm/messages, it just sits there turning both spindles.

The part change over program looks like this:

M81 (Sub spindle chuck open)
    M87 (1. and 2. sp sync on)
    G0 W-887. (Sub spindle to set pickup point)
    M82 (Sub spindle chuck close)
    G4 X2. (2sec dwell)
    M21 (main spindle chuck open) (Program stops in this block)
    G28 W0. (Sub spindle return to home position)
    M88 (1. and 2. sp sync off)
    M90 (Call sub spindle)
    G55 (New work zero)

The yellow marker line for the block sits on the M21 command line.

Any help on this one??

Im currently moving the part manually from the main to sub spindle.

I also have trouble getting the coolant to stay on when running a program that starts with the sub spindle. It only throws out a dash of coolant when the M08 is activated, then it turns it self off right away.

Coolant works fine when running in the main spindle, and cools well if I have the coolant button on the machine pressed when turning in the sub spindle.

Very strange.

Anybody have an idea what causes this???

You say that the M21 is opening the main spindle chuck. Have you checked the diagnostic for the main chuck open finish signal? Could be a proximity switch adjustment or PMC timer setting.

Quote Originally Posted by dcoupar View Post
    You say that the M21 is opening the main spindle chuck. Have you checked the diagnostic for the main chuck open finish signal? Could be a proximity switch adjustment or PMC timer setting.
    I hve changed the proximity switches for the main spindle, but I do not know where to check the diagnostics for this controller.

Any tips?

Do you have the electrical or ladder manual? You will have to know what the X bit number for the switch is in order look at it in the diagnostics.

Quote Originally Posted by SQT18MS View Post
    I hve changed the proximity switches for the main spindle, but I do not know where to check the diagnostics for this controller.

Any tips?
    If you don't have access to the electrical drawings or other PMC documentation you can find the bit(s) for chuck open/close confirmation by activating the switch while you watch the input bits on the PMC STATUS screen.

SYSTEM - [PMC] - [PMCDGN] - [STATUS] - X0.0 - [SEARCH]

You should see a pageful of 0's and 1's. Either clamp/unclamp the chuck or have someone hold a small block of steel near the switch until the LED comes on then move it away. Keep doing this until you see one of the X bits changing from 0 to 1 and back. You may need to page down to see additional bits. The other chuck confirmation switch diagnostic bit "should" be next to that one.

Once you find out which inputs are used for clamp/unclamp operation, you can check that bit when the program hangs during part transfer.

Hi.

Thanks for the tips.

I will have a look at the input bits for the proximity switches today if I can find them.

Unfortunatly I do not have the electrical diagrams for the machine. Will send email to manufacturer and ask for them.

Solved the part transfer temporarly with stopping the spindles during part transfer, the main chuck now opens. Earlier I was running spindle sync during atempting part transfer.

The strange thing is that the cooland wont stay on when given M08 whem machining in the sub spindle.