585,753 active members*
4,188 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Bur Puller programming

I recently added a QT20 w/o bar feeder. My problem is due to budget i purchased a Royal Products bar puller instead of a bar feeder. i have programmed the bar puller as a seperate program but my dilema is that the part program and the bar pull program are set to run back to back as indicated on the end line of mazatrol. It works great until the remnant is pulled through the spindle and than the remnant is either stuck in the puller or during the tool change it is flung out of the puller. then the machine is turning air oblivious to the fact that there is no material in the chuck. I can think of 2 solutions, one is programming how many times to repeat program based on raw material length, this is one that i do not want to do. We have button pushers running these machines with the title of "operator". If they have to reset the machine during a cycle the count will restart and end up flinging the remnant out. The 2nd solution is one i don't know if it's possible, which is some how measuring the clamp distance of the drawtube. the back of the actuator does have prox switches and i think that is where to start. any other suggestions or help is appreciated.

On my chuck acuator it has 2 limit switchs one in the frount and one in th back
    may you can turn them around so when you run out of bar the chuck acuator will move back father and the machine will think the chuck is open and not run .This may be a problem also,the last pice of the bar may only be holding in the chuck 1/8 inch when its machinined it will fly out.I think your best bet is to cut all your bars the same size and write the number or repeats in the program and tell you operators to use the cycle hold button if they need to stop the machine during the program.
    Tim

Thanks for your reply, I think the prox switch solution is the way to go.

I run bar pullers in my shop.

The only problem with a prox switch is if you ever use a collet setup, you will over stress the collet by closing it with no material to grip.

I personaly set my machine up to count the material and stop it One short of pulling material out. After the machine stops alls they have to do is put a new piece in and hit go.

Even if they are no load puss nuts button pushers they can usually keep up with this.

Of course checking the part dimension is a whole nother story!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Another problem with proximity switches on the draw tube is that they don't detect that last bit that is held by a tiny amount so it pulls out of the chuck during parting and wipes out a parting tool holder or worse when it jams between a spinning jaw and a stationary tool holder.

Genie, what controller do you have, we have a QT20 with a T+ and when you reset it doesn't reset the counter. When it reaches the predetermined number of runs, then it resets, but other than that, the count stays there.