586,000 active members*
4,925 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: D&M 5 lathe

D&M 5 lathe

Hello all, new here and the proud new owner of some benchtop CNC machines. The one I have a question about is a D&M 5 lathe. It seems to be a fairly nice little machine, ballscrews, variable speed control and RPM pickup, came with a QC tool post, live center, and one indexable tool holder. Seems fairly well built for a ~200 lb machine. I picked up a controller card off of eBay which hopefully will arrive soon, and LabVolt (company who purchased D&M) sent me the old DOS software that runs it.

I was wondering if anyone knew what type of lathe the unit was built around, or did D&M build their own? Also, has anyone done a conversion to use Mach2/3 on one of these machines? I would ideally like to get it running with the old software, and then think about upgrading in the future. Forgive my ignorance here, but would I be able to use the steppers and drivers that are already in the machine if I were to use Mach2/3? I'm thinking I would just have to wire the step and direction inputs into the parallel port, along with the limit switches and the speed pickup. Eventually, I plan on using this machine to help support my habit of rescuing old 2-stroke street bikes from the scrapyards.

Have a good one.
    Adam

D&M 5 lath

So did you get your D&M running ??
    Ron K
    Ron Kline

D&M 5 Lathe

It is up and running, I got a stock control card off eBay and the original software from LabVolt is working. I've turned a few straight parts by manually coding, and the test part that came with the software. The biggest headache is that the some of the pushbuttons don't seem to be de-bounced, so selecting certain options is a pain in the behind.

Motorcycling season is upon me, so I haven't spent much time with the machines in the past few months. I still plan on trying to get it to run with Mach3 when I get a computer that will run it. Seems like a pretty good machine, and adding shims to the gib instead of trying to adjust the 3 set screws on the cross slide seems to have fixed the problems I was having with the slide hanging up.

Anyone have any recommendations on some cheap/free CAM software? I know I should bite the bullet and just learn to code by hand, but I'll admit that I am lazy.

Adam

I know this is an old thread but I just started to work with a D&M 5, The interface card coming out of the back of my computer has 2 com ports but I only have one cable going to the lathe. Am I missing something, if not how is it configured?
    thanks cecil

Can't help you with that, but I did convert one to run from Mach3. It is just a matter of rewiring the inputs to the stepper driver boards straight to the parallel port.

Thanks for the replay, I have already ordered a breakout board because I figured this is my only option, my 0 to 10volt spindle control board works. My guess is that D&M sends a 5volt pulse to the control board (mother) and that converts it to the 0 to 10v going to the spindle control board. Do you know if this is accurate and where I would land the 5volt pulse?
    Thanks Cecil

Cecil,

I wasn't able to determine that on the D&M machine. The original dc motor drive board was bad so I put a replacment one in for it. I used the same manual speed control pot on it, but didn't control speed with Mach, only read speed into Mach3.
    You could buy a inexpensive pwm to voltage converter like the one Arturo sells on
    cnc4pc. I was able to find the controller schematic on the existing dc motor drive.

Arnie

Thanks Arnie, I looked on cnc4pc site. It appears to be the headache free option. I have a little bit of experience with mach3 so I’m sure it would be easier to figure out than that DOS stuff. Thanks for your time.

Cecil

glad to be of help. When you go to wire to the stepper drive boards the orange and brown wire are the step and direction inputs.

Arnie

old post I know but did you ever come across any wiring diagrams for the lathe? I have mach 3 running steppers no problem but trying to get CNC4PC C11G board to work on spindle speed

Doug

Re: D&M 5 lathe

Nice thread. I too got my doubt solved here. Have a nice day ahead.

what controller card are you using?

Are you asking about the controller for the spindle motor or controller for the lathe axis?

Re: D&M 5 Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Cocotmm View Post
    It is up and running, I got a stock control card off eBay and the original software from LabVolt is working. I've turned a few straight parts by manually coding, and the test part that came with the software. The biggest headache is that the some of the pushbuttons don't seem to be de-bounced, so selecting certain options is a pain in the behind.

Motorcycling season is upon me, so I haven't spent much time with the machines in the past few months. I still plan on trying to get it to run with Mach3 when I get a computer that will run it. Seems like a pretty good machine, and adding shims to the gib instead of trying to adjust the 3 set screws on the cross slide seems to have fixed the problems I was having with the slide hanging up.

Anyone have any recommendations on some cheap/free CAM software? I know I should bite the bullet and just learn to code by hand, but I'll admit that I am lazy.

Adam
    what OS did you use? DOS? what version? I came into possession of a D&M 5 lathe and mill and i'm trying to get it working, i have the hardware to run the old software, i'm just not sure what i need software wise, and how to get it running and communicating between the computer and the machine.

D&M got taken over by Lab-Volt, who then got taken over by Festo Didactic years ago. Use Festo's contact page to ask for the correct version of software for your machine. Lab-Volt/Festo still makes this size and style of lathe, but it has much more modern controls on it. Model 5500 - see it here: https://www.labvolt.com/solutions/1_...ems_heavy_duty

I went this route with my own D&M 5, when I accidentally toasted the computer running the original software. I bought a fully functional working machine w/original computer, but the hard drive holding the only copy of the software I had, died. I got ahold of Festo, and they sent me the software (level 3 lathe, IIRC), but in the meantime, I had decided I wanted the machine going, so I'd removed the original interface board, and replaced it with a C10 board. This worked fine, and I got the machine running on Mach3, for plain turning. I haven't gotten the spindle index pulse hooked up yet, so no threading on it so far.

The original spindle driver board was a bit hard to find info on, and I've since replaced it with a KBMG-212D from KB Electronics - very pleased with its performance. It will go from full speed (around 3000 rpm) to stop in about 1 second. Braking is regenerative, so no big braking resistor.

I am attaching the software I received from Festo, so hopefully it will help someone else trying to get their lathe going with the original hardware. It runs under Win98, or earlier, I think. From the few minutes I got to play around with it, it's pretty limited in terms of usability, but interesting from an historical perspective, maybe? I will eventually be going with LinuxCNC, which is supposed to be very good for lathe use, especially with threading.

I still have the original boards, including the card for the computer, if anyone is interested...