585,743 active members*
4,986 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > OKUMA & HOWA HL-20 with FANUC 18i-t control

OKUMA & HOWA HL-20 with FANUC 18i-t control

Good afternoon okuma experts i started this part time and they put me to set up this machine although i dont have major problems with it is conversome to work with the door closed when you are running a new program you now you need the door open. can you tell me what are the steps to overide the door interlock so i set it up safer . and is there a way a way to index the turret manually al the way to the desired tool with out having to index one by one(rotating the turret one tool every button push is a pain in the neck) I thank you all for any kind of help.

I would not begin to tell someone how to operate a machine with safeguards disabled.

For your tool selection, try MDI Txxxx M6 EOB Input then Cycle Start (with the door closed).

Get the manuals for this machine and read them. You may find other short cuts you can employ.

there are ways to do almost everything with the door shut.
    to index tools, select tool number on the panel and press index button. be sure the door is shut and it should work as expected. this is depending on the panel. Mori Seiki machines using 16/18/21 controls have a LED display to set the tool number. Earlier machines have a selection dial to set the tool number. Both have a separate index button. I don't know what your machine panel has but if there is no tool selection number on the panel then the machine can only index one tool at a time in manual.
    however on some machines if you hold the index button in it will continue to index until you release the button. the door must be shut, of course, otherwise it will only index one tool. My Okuma turret index works like that.

do not use MDI to index a tool because then you are reading the tool geometry offsets. if you do not cancel the geometry offset and re-set it the offset will be totally wrong. if you type in MDI Txx00 EOB then start it will index with no offset (note the 00 after the T means no geometry or wear offset) but that actually takes longer to do than just pressing the index button on the panel. just index it manually and be happy it works.

for anything else if you tell us exactly what you need to do we can tell you how to do it an easy way with the door shut.
    note however you will need to at least be able to move the tools/turret manually with the handle with the door open to set them if you don't have a setting arm/probe. if you can't do that the parameters are not set correctly (specifically, PMC parameters).

About the only thing you can't do is file the job. but if you need to file something with chuck spinning and door open then you have messed up somewhere because there are no burrs on a CNC-machined job when the program is written correctly :-)