584,802 active members*
4,845 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Stepper Motor Only Jogs One Direction

Question Stepper Motor Only Jogs One Direction

I have a Keling 382 Oz motors with kl 4030 drivers and a C10 break out board. This is a 3 year old machine and has been working great until now, so its not a wiring problem I don't think. I can only get the X axis to jog 1 direction, no matter what arrow I push it only goes one way. I switched motors with this driver and get the same results. After intensive research and reading I figure that its either the KL 4030 Driver, the C10 BB, or a Parallel Port problem. Could someone please help me narrow down what the problem is? What kind of voltage should I have leaving the BB towards the drivers, then what voltage should I have leaving the drivers. I have a hunch its the BB but need to be positive before I order a bunch of parts I dont need. Thanks in advance.

ascertain pin for x direction, check port on computer that that pin actually flips from low to high coming out of the port as you change direction on x, if it is, check the bb for same, if it is, check at driver for same if it is, I'm lost, prolly driver ....

John

Move the driver to a different BOB axis. If the problem follow the driver, it is the culprit.

Next, move the BOB channel. If the problem follows the channel, then it is the culprit. If not, the parallel port is.

Juuussst had a similar problem, turns out their schematics are crap. If you think about the optoisolating circuit, it's pretty much an LED, so the inputs operate like an LED. You supply the 5V, and it sinks to GND. LED lights up and triggers an isolated response in the driver.

They're schematic shows you supplying 5V all the time (PUL+), and supplying 5V pulses to PUL-. With this logic, you can never signify both directions. When the LED tries to ground, and 5V is there, it won't work. Regardless, put my parallel port signal to PUL+, and DIR+, grounded both negatives (PUL- and DIR-), and now it works like it should.

Long story short, wire it up like every other stepper driver. Can't comment on the C10, but ditch their breakout board and just get a DIN rail mountable DB25 breakout board off of e-bay.

Good luck!:idea:

Re: Stepper Motor Only Jogs One Direction

Quote Originally Posted by jeff johnson View Post
    I have a Keling 382 Oz motors with kl 4030 drivers and a C10 break out board. This is a 3 year old machine and has been working great until now, so its not a wiring problem I don't think. I can only get the X axis to jog 1 direction, no matter what arrow I push it only goes one way. I switched motors with this driver and get the same results. After intensive research and reading I figure that its either the KL 4030 Driver, the C10 BB, or a Parallel Port problem. Could someone please help me narrow down what the problem is? What kind of voltage should I have leaving the BB towards the drivers, then what voltage should I have leaving the drivers. I have a hunch its the BB but need to be positive before I order a bunch of parts I dont need. Thanks in advance.
    FYI
    common anode & common cathode in the figure

Re: Stepper Motor Only Jogs One Direction

This is a 6 year old thread!!!

I'm guessing he already figured it out or moved on by now.