584,830 active members*
5,897 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport Series 1 CNC Z axis stuck

I just got an old bridgeport series 1 CNC up and running, revived it from the dead (had been sitting over 10 years). I was playing with the axis and everything was working great. I think I moved Z a little too far and now it will not come back up. I have tried holding the limit button and trying to slowly raise it but that did not work. I need help! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If all else fails, take the cover off of the bottom of the z axis servo and turn the pulley by hand

thanks for the help gus, it looks like that is what i might have to do...

I was able to crank z up by hand with the machine off by spinning the dial at the bottom of the servo. When I got close to the top I flipped the machine on to see if I could bring it up the rest of the way with the controls and z still did not work. So I brought z up to 0 and then turned the machine on again to see if I could move the quill up and and down and it is still not working.When I hit the button on the control for z to move down the dial at the bottom of the z servo moves a tick but goes no further.

I know z was working and the quill was moving smoothly before I THINK i went too far down in z. Where do I go from here?

a little off topic, but mine overtravelled up a few times and stuck...the screws on top of the ballnut timing sprocket will 'lock' against the plate above it...

suggestion if you ever have the top end apart, crank the drive up till the bolts just hit- look at whats touching. I was able to make a thick washer to put under one bolt that would catch that bolt head on one above, rather than wedging it solid...(kinda a wedge hardstop, like the one on the x that spirals up to catch the stop collar). I cautiously tested by banging into it deliberately, no sticking at all, just alarmed the servo- mines a fanuc retrofit running 6047 servos off single phase input- fooling the drives to run single phase input makes them a little weak, but they run fine...not sure if a hard stop of this kind would work with full power or if it would just shear the bolt off- might still be better than possibly ruining the quill ballscrew- it locked unbelievably tight.

if you ever lock it in the 'up' and cant turn it by the belt drive, crack the bolts loose holding the upper housing to the quill housing, it will unlock.

Quote Originally Posted by ross33912 View Post
    I was able to crank z up by hand with the machine off by spinning the dial at the bottom of the servo. When I got close to the top I flipped the machine on to see if I could bring it up the rest of the way with the controls and z still did not work. So I brought z up to 0 and then turned the machine on again to see if I could move the quill up and and down and it is still not working.When I hit the button on the control for z to move down the dial at the bottom of the z servo moves a tick but goes no further.

I know z was working and the quill was moving smoothly before I THINK i went too far down in z. Where do I go from here?
    Does your display say it's on the limit switch? Maybe the lower limit switch is stuck down.

The big red button is not on or anything. It never came on at any time but ut does work, at least when i hit e stop. that is why I am not 100% sure I limited out... Maybe a power feed motor went tits up?