585,712 active members*
4,255 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Weird laser cutting issue (not cutting properly)

I have a template that I am trying to get cut. Everything cuts fine around the edges but in the middle of the 24" X 24" piece of MDF its not cutting all the way through. Take a look at the pics to see what I mean.. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013-02-04 17.28.22.jpg   2013-02-04 17.28.13.jpg   2013-02-04 17.40.32.jpg  

laser cutting

Dear Phil,

engineer doubt two possibilities:
    1st, is your MDF level? if so,maybe 2nd possibilities:still laser aligned problem, the easiest way to test is to move the laser head on four corners to see whether lasers are on the same point,

Hope this can help

Best Regards
    Lucy

Quote Originally Posted by phylo View Post
    I have a template that I am trying to get cut. Everything cuts fine around the edges but in the middle of the 24" X 24" piece of MDF its not cutting all the way through. Take a look at the pics to see what I mean.. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yes the MDF was level and flat on the table. Im not sure I understand what you mean by lasers are on the same point? The laser appears to be aligned pretty darn good but Ill double check. It just seems odd that the laser would hiccup in the middle of that piece considering the position while it was being cut.

It could be that there is a higher concentration of glue in that part of the MDF. Denser quantities of glue can block the cutting ability of a laser.

Also, if your laser isn't perfectly aligned, then it is possible for it to change position of the beam as your Y rail moves further away from the back of the laser. When I align my laser, I check that it is firing at the same point when the lens is at the NE, NW, SE and SW points of the bed.

Hope that helps,
    Wade

The Alignment should be spot on but Ill check it again.. Although this particular instance I dont think lends itself the the laser being out of alignment considering the location of the material that was not properly cut. At least to the best of my limited knowledge.

Phil

Then, it could be an abundance of glue in that area. I know i've experienced that problem with baltic ply in the past.

Wade

I guess Ill be finishing that template with my dremmel and be sure to slow the laser down a little more when cutting 1/4" MDF... I thought that this thing would be more powerfull I guess.

How many watts do you have, and why not just rerun the cut cycle and let it finish cutting all the way thru?

Wade

Its an 80 watt laser.. I would have run it twice but I thought it had cut through all the way and didnt want to try to realign the piece after I had already taken it out of the machine.

Phil

Hmm, I'm betting on the glue density. If you have removed it, I guess you either recut it or dremel it. Re-aligning is definitely a pain.

Wade

1/4 MDF should cut every time at a speed of 6 power of 80 Phil,

Is it Medite you are using or generic MDF? the generic stuff tends to be crap (as well as giving off some horrible fumes)

best wishes

Dave

It is generic MDF I believe.. Ill have to look into Medite and see what the difference is.

Thanks everyone for all the tips and info.

Phil

Medite uses water based resins and cuts with a light brown edge,

Generic uses Formaldehyde based resins and cuts like a piece of rubber dog crap out of Hong Kong as well as giving off toxic fumes

best wishes

Dave