584,860 active members*
5,386 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Probe - Diameter Message

Hello my friends,

I've come across a somewhat of a problem with my new idea, probing a bore and making the machine print out the diameter of that hole as a message. If that message is an alarm or a more sophisticated thing, doesn't matter. All I want is for that information to be put out as a message for me to read.

I've made the program for the probing itself, and it stores the diameter information in #188.

Here's my question:

How do I print #188 as an alarm / message for me to read on-screen?

Thank you,
    GACH

Did you read up on #3000 alarms in the operators manual?

Right after I made the original post, I thought about that. I've somewhat gotten it to work, but it'd still be nice to know if it's possible without it being an alarm.

Thank you,
    GACH

#3006 can be used on a FANUC instead of #3000, allowing operation to continue without reset.

I am intrigued to know if you have found a way to display the actual value on screen as part of a message, as it does not seem to be possible on FANUC.

I usually move to a corresponding position after probing to display the figure on screen. It would be nice to have a more sophisticated method...

DP

Quote Originally Posted by GACH View Post
    Right after I made the original post, I thought about that. I've somewhat gotten it to work, but it'd still be nice to know if it's possible without it being an alarm.

Thank you,
    GACH
    In your first post, you specifically asked to be displayed as an alarm.

Other options might include some macro programming to display and stop with an M00.

(PROBE BORE)
    (CHANGE TO NEXT TOOL)
    G90 G54 G0 X#188
    M0
    (X POSITION DISPLAY = BORE DIAMETER)

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    In your first post, you specifically asked to be displayed as an alarm.

Other options might include some macro programming to display and stop with an M00.
    Just to clarify, I didn't specifically ask for it to be an alarm, I stated that it wouldn't matter if it was an alarm or a message.

Anyhow, I've played around with the functions abit and come up with a couple of cool ideas, once I've tested them properly I'll share them.

Depending on the controller vintage, the new systems have the ability to display two macro variables on the screen within the "timers and counters" tile. It has to be the LCD control that displays multiple panes
    They appear along with the cycle times and M30 counters. I have one of mine set to #188 just because that value is often useful to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
    Depending on the controller vintage, the new systems have the ability to display two macro variables on the screen within the "timers and counters" tile. It has to be the LCD control that displays multiple panes
    They appear along with the cycle times and M30 counters. I have one of mine set to #188 just because that value is often useful to read.
    That's the first real thing I've read about the new controls that actually seems useful! Cool.

Well, I will question the usefulness of macro programming just to display a value to the operator. Makes more sense to me if you are probing to capture feature size for quality purposes to go ahead and DPRINT to RS-232 and record it. If you are probing for the purpose of remachining for size correction, then write that into the macro and just have the machine continue with the process without involving the operator.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Well, I will question the usefulness of macro programming just to display a value to the operator. Makes more sense to me if you are probing to capture feature size for quality purposes to go ahead and DPRINT to RS-232 and record it. If you are probing for the purpose of remachining for size correction, then write that into the macro and just have the machine continue with the process without involving the operator.
    Obviously it's not a matter of a real function, this is a first try at using macro programming to get a better understanding of it. Ultimately this will probably be developed to a whole new level and put to use with similiar functions like you described.

However, so far, this is all a huge opportunity for me to further develop my programming skills/understanding.

If this was a real job, I would probably be fired on the spot for taking such a long time to determine if a hole is in tolerance or not.

Cheers,
    GACH

Re: Probe - Diameter Message

how is this done

Re: Probe - Diameter Message

Quote Originally Posted by williamcan View Post
    how is this done
    By Studying the Renishaw Inspection + manual, an add on to Mastercam, or Renishaw has a number of software to generate and export data.