585,705 active members*
4,241 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 57 1231151

Low cost laser Engraver

I am thinking of buying a few laser engravers so as I can get the lowest price on one for myself. I do not want to spend $10,000 on one, which is the lowest I have seen so far. Please let me know if anyone has an intrest in buying one aswell. I posted an ad in the classified section with pictures. I hope this type of post is okay to write! I am hoping to be able to get the cost of the unit to around $3,000. Please let me know if I woudl be able to sell the extras I would be buying. please email me directly [email protected]

laser
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 456.gif   123.jpg  

What is able to do this laser engraver? As I am from Romania, what would be the additional cost of shipping it to me? I would like to buy one, but for this I must borrow money and I need to know exactly what it means from cost point of view. Actually, I would like to start (finally) a small business based on my CNC knowledge got here and by building three machines (two MDF and one AL). The machines I do not think can sustain even a small business, but a laser could be a start....I hope...

You like the laser the machine?

I purchased one of these laser engravers. For the price, it is hard to beat.

There is one big problem with the one that I purchased, however.

The included software really only supports pixel based graphics, as in .bmp and .jpg

The software is easy to use and easy to configure. I took my time setting it up to be sure that I was doing everything correctly, but probably could have been cutting and engraving in less than an hour.

The software is for both designing what you want to engrave AND for controlling the engraver. Now like I said, it is easy to use. But, it doesn't support vector based files directly. It would be nice to "plot" (I mean engrave or cut) straight from a CAD program. But so far, that just isn't working.

According to the Users Manual, there are 4 output modes

1) Output from their software to the machine

2) Install a printer driver and print to the device from windows applications
    They recommend NEC p2200 driver...

3) Output from their software to a .plt file

4) Print from DOS

---

Well, options 1 and 3 work fine. The .plt file appears to be pretty standard hp-gl.

However, I have not been able to get options 2 and 4 to work. I wrote an email to the seller, but was told that option 2 doesn't work. I wrote an email to the manufacturer and was told that I could buy new software that would "solve my problems."

I will let people know if the seller or manufacturer offer any assistance. I would like to think that since it is in the manual, that I will be lead to a solution.

For what it is worth, this laser is a LOT of fun to play with. I probably won't use it much as an engraver, but mostly as a cutter. But, watching it engrave is very satisfying.

I really hope that I can figure out how to use it with IntelliCAD. If I can, then I would give this small engraver rather high marks.

Steve

Actually, while I am here, I'll ask the question, but post a similar one in plotters...

This laser appears to be basically an hpgl plotter, but with a laser rather than a pen. I have played with numerous hpgl drivers, but none seem to make this thing go.

At first, I was getting various errors (no paper, device not ready...)

Thanks to some help, I made a parallel cable with pins 11 and 12 tied to ground via 1k resistors and with pin 15 disconnected entirely.

This improved the situation, as I was now not getting error messages. But the drivers still won't control the "plotter" - i mean laser engraver.

Any advice on how to establish control of this thing?

It would be nice to keep it as an hpgl plotter, as the PU and PD commands turn the laser off and on.

Thanks

Steve

Is hooking up a scope and monitoring what is going on when it is "printing" from its proprietary software as possibility? Do some reverse engineering.

Or:

I would think that, depending on steppers or servos, that you could replace the proprietary drivers with something from Gecko and a breakout board - then drive with Mach3? Maybe? Not sure if Mach3 can turn-on/off a laser, plus you have to adjust power levels too, right? Might want to see what the homebrew laser guys use to drive their machines...
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

I do have a "spare" 3 axis card laying around...X Y and laser power adjust. Laser On/Off could be one of the other commands.

This is a possibility and a likelihood that I will have to go this direction.

But for the fun of it, I would like to take this as far as I can with its current board.

How can I learn more about monitoring what is going on? Is there any software that can monitor/track/record what is going on in the par port?

How else does one monitor what is going on?

No need for a tutorial, but a point in the correct direction.

Thanks

Hi , i searched a bit in the internet and found some parallel port monitoring software

try SysInternals PortMon at www.sysinternals.com/utilities/portmon.html

or checkout www.geekhideout.com

By the way , what is the manufacturer of those laser machines in pictures?
    I work on a GCC Mercury LaserPro for raster engraving and cutting mainly acrylics, wood and engraving glass.

I may solve you any about this machine difficulty and the question

I am this machine manufacturer,Very many people sell the old machine in the proxy,But he already eliminated in Asia and China,Because I designed have made the new machine

The software may support PLT,DXF,BMP,JPG...
    Software support color,Line,Time,Energy control
    Supports CAD2002-2006,Output,Similar also has POTOSHOP,CORELDRAW
    Uses new DSP the chip

The mechanical drive components also have the improvement

HKXY

Hi Pedro,

Thanks for the links. I should have some time tomorrow to continue to work on this.

The manufacturer:
    Best I can tell, I believe it was made by
    Jinan Hengxing Computer Equipment Manufacturing Co., Ltd.

http://www.hxlaser.com/en/index.htm
    the "Rabbit HX-40A"
    http://www.hxlaser.com/en/products/chapter.htm

though I purchased mine thru:
    http://www.iehk.net/Products/IE300.html

----

The GCC Mercury LaserPro looks like a VERY nice machine. Software really does make a big difference...

Thanks again

Steve

The GCC machine is the very good machine, but the price is high

HX-40A is the popular machine, the price is low, but needs you to have the appropriate preparation.
    Asked you know HX-40A the price?

Yes, it is a more expensive machine, not because of the software :
    -working area 635mm x 458mm
    -rotary option
    -dual head option

The best of this machine is the auto-focusing system and you may open the front & back door to engrave long pieces as well it has internal memory to store up to 100 cutting/engraving files.

Yet it is far more expensive

I may make any size the laser to cut the machine
    Size scope: 10-2400 millimeter
    Power: 15-200W
    Contains the complete software,Air system,Laser,Optics lens,Controls the electrical machinery...

He makes in China,The price is low

If you need,May tell yours request I,Perhaps I can give you the good price

Hey Steve,
    I see you purchased through Ink Express. How was the buying experience. I have been looking at the larger laser but had my reservations because they are overseas and I would have no recourse if something went wrong. How about freight and customs?

Hey txcowdog,

The Ink Express buying experience... Overall, the buying experience was more positive than negative. But it wasn't perfect. At this point, I am still glad that I bought it.

Before I bought mine, I did download the manual. According to the manual, it could do what I wanted and needed it to do. I was fairly sold.

I would advise you to try to find the manual for the model in which you are interested in the "downlord" section of their website. If there are any features you see that are essential to you, be sure to ask them BEFORE you buy if that feature is really supported.

In my case, the manual indicates that the engraver should work as a stand alone plotter. But, that feature isn't actually supported. So, I must use their software to design and to control the machine.

Payment was wierd. They accept wire transfer or xcoin. I decided on xcoin. So, I set up a separate bank account and deposited the exact amount that the machine would cost. Then I set up an xcoin account. But xcoin has limits on the amount you can transfer from an "unverified" account and it takes awhile to verify an account. (Verification required faxing proof of identity to a number in Canada which gets forwarded to xcoin's headquarters in China or HongKong - then waiting for them to decide whether to verify your account - which could take DAYS) It was faster to go back to the bank and make more accounts and set up the xcoin account to pull from multiple bank accounts.

Shortly after the money was sent, I got a receipt from Ink Express and it didn't take all that long (2 weeks +/-) to get to Los Angeles. But it ended up in customs for a couple more weeks.

I am not sure if mine got damaged in shipping or if the guys in customs were less than subtle in their searching, but the power supply was gutted and the styrofoam had been rather smashed and lots of pieces of foam were strewn thru the machine.

But the power supply was easily fixed and the foam vacuumed out.

When I went to run it for the first time, the laser head went to the homing position, but it didn't want to stop. You know the sound, like when a flatbed scanner wants to keep going...turns out that the limit switch is a proximity sensor, but the metal tab had bent. I readjusted the tab and turned it back on and it went home without a hitch.

Also, my water filter unit was faulty, but that is just a cheap aquarium pump. Got another for about $10. That wasn't made by them, so I can't really fault them too much (only a little)

Anyway, it has been working fine since then.

But I have had issue with their software, since the software that comes with my machine only supports pixel based graphics (bmp and jpg.) It does work. And it is easy. But, I was really looking forward to using it to cut out CAD files. Their "support" has been less than stellar, as in (and I am paraphrasing) "Yes, you are right. The option you want doesn't work"

Would I buy another from them? Well, it seems the price for the one I got may be cheaper at:
    http://www.hxlaser.com/en/index.htm

Another to consider is:
    http://www.chinaoptronics.com/engraver.htm

Knowing that support from overseas is limited, you might consider going the cheapest route.

It is hard for me to give a glowing recommendation, but for the money...it really is a fun toy. If you feel reasonably certain that the model you want really can do what you want and need it to do, then it could be a great tool and tremendous value.

If I can hack their software and make it "plot" CAD files, then I would say it was a great investment. For now, I wish their were more support and I wish they felt compelled to make their device perform like in the manual...

If I have any advice...
    I would send email to all three and see who sends email back to you.
    Ask some pointed and direct questions about functionality and see which company is best able to aswer your questions.

Most of all, I wish you luck.

For me, so far, no regrets. Sorting it out is the kind of challenge I like.

As always, caveat emptor

I thought you lack the understanding regarding China's product,Because the Chinese industry is very centralized,Produces one kind of product the crowd to like concentrating in an area,For instance this small laser machine,His centralized area in north,In order to reduce the cost to produce the merchant to need the batch the purchase,Specially outer covering and plate work,But can have the massive factories in the short time also to produce the same product,Like this everybody outward appearance has been similar,But internal structure and software,The performance is very big not same,But American and Europe's people all do not understand this

I designed the production laser in China to cut the machine already very many years,If you have the interest to the Chinese product,I may provide the consultation for you,

It is likely to be true that people outside of China do not understand how things are made there. I know I don't.

I do know that there are several vendors selling laser engravers that look very much the same and are sold as having much the same features.

I would say that the limited amount of information makes it dificult to tell the difference.

--

I am not sure I understand the consultation that you provide?

Can you tell me how the hardware works?
    What data is it expecting?
    Can the InkExpress IE300 operate with HP-GL instructions?
    Must I use the MoshiSoft software?
    Is there other software available that will support DXF and DWG without conversion?

Mine looks like the one in the attached photo. I can also take pictures of the control board if that helps.

Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hx40a.jpg  

Hi I was wondering if anyone could look at the following thread and give me some advice:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20332

....sorry for hyjacking this one!

sidi_steve,

Do you mind telling us what you paid for the machine?

Thanks,
    Paul

Page 1 of 57 1231151