585,758 active members*
4,222 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Maybe I can get lucky

I purchased a Gorilla JR CNC at auction and ultimately wish I would have done a little more research. I feel like the machine is solid and was told the machine is in working order. Of course transporting it home was a completely different story. I have so many questions though. It doesn't seem like user manuals, parts diagrams or any other details are available after digging through the forums here. If I am mistaken there I am all ears.

Specifically it looks like there is a kill switch on the unit? Two wires came out of the bottom of the control box. They look like cat 3 or something similar. One went to a button of sorts and the other looks like it is just a metal plate. Can anyone tell me what these are specifically per chance? Maybe a wiring diagram because one of the wires came out of the button for sure and I just want to make sure that I get it wired back up correctly.

Thanks,

WBG

Re: Maybe I can get lucky

I hope you didn't pay too much for that machine. It seems that Gorilla CNC went bankrupt in 2009, leaving warranty holders out of luck. You can read about this saga here: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/goril...rs-owners.html if you haven't already. Even when the company was running, it seems there were a lot of problems with these machines, only some of which were addressed. You might try asking General if they have any manuals for them, but I wouldn't be too hopeful. Maybe someone here still has one. Does it seem to work at all? If not, the best thing to do might be to treat it as a frame and add your own new controller, ditching the old box and all its issues. You might be able to reuse the motors, though.

If you don't see another E-stop button on your machine, that's probably the "button of sorts" you noticed. If there's a metal plate with wires going to the controller, that's probably a touch-off plate. Look for a metal clamp with wires somewhere nearby. Usually you'd put the clamp on the spindle nose and lower the tool until it hits the plate and completes the circuit, establishing Z zero.
    Andrew Werby
    Website