584,829 active members*
4,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Android or IPhone Apps for the Shop?

Android or IPhone Apps for the Shop?

Hi all,

I develop software for the machining industry but so far I just concentrate on the PC side. But I am increasingly asked for a version of my proprietary software "Web Machinist" for the smart phones. I would like your opinions on what exactly you find most useful on a small portable platform such as an Android based phone or iPhone? Any help you can offer on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    www.WebMachinist.Net
    The Ultimate Online Source for Machinist Related Stuff!

Trigonometrical functions, Inch-Metric conversions, I'm sure there's more suggestions coming..
    Forget about global warming...Visualize using your turn signal!

Quote Originally Posted by MetalZilla View Post
    Hi all,

I develop software for the machining industry but so far I just concentrate on the PC side. But I am increasingly asked for a version of my proprietary software "Web Machinist" for the smart phones. I would like your opinions on what exactly you find most useful on a small portable platform such as an Android based phone or iPhone? Any help you can offer on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    how many Web Machinist packages have you sold ?

Feed/speed calculator?

Maybe?

Machinist handbook... but easier to get around in (especially seeing as how you would be using a handheld device!).

Also I would love an App that worked like Cimco DNC, but was Android based that would allow me to port file to my machines from my smartphone that are resident on a server drive to a machine that was connected to a Serial Device Server.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Machinist handbook... but easier to get around in (especially seeing as how you would be using a handheld device!).

Also I would love an App that worked like Cimco DNC, but was Android based that would allow me to port file to my machines from my smartphone that are resident on a server drive to a machine that was connected to a Serial Device Server.
    i have my android tablet setup something like that , i can put files from my tablet to my machine threw the network , works similar to samba on linux

you need to root your android device and run es file explorer