585,902 active members*
4,945 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Controller & Computer Solutions > Owners of Mitutoyo Millstar III - internal component question.

Owners of Mitutoyo Millstar III - internal component question.

Hello all, I'm here on behalf of a coworker, a fellow auto mechanic who has obtained a big knee mill on the cheap for his own projects at home (muscle car, snowmobile, etc).

The mill came with a Mitutoyo MillStar III controller which had unfortunately been Red Green'ed by the previous owners, the original video card and LCD monitors had been replaced by a standard video card with a VGA output and an external CRT. We are currently in the process of returning the controller to it's original shape, and have obtained a replacement LCD panel (Sharp LM64C350), However, for the life of me I cannot come up with anything as to what the video card needed to drive that monitor could be. Hours scouring the internet have only returned partial leads, so am I left to ask a big favor out of anybody that has access to one:

Would it be possible to pop open the unit's back cover and return with the make and model of the video card? Once I know what it is I'm looking for I'm sure I'll be able to find something online, and if not that'll be the unfortunate end of that, but at least every attempt will have been made.

Re: Owners of Mitutoyo Millstar III - internal component question.

I have a Sharp HCV knee mill with a 2 axis Mitutoyo Millstar II controller and the monitor is dead.
    My controller is a PC inside (Pentium S or something) running Windows 95 with a Galil 2 axis ISA motion controller.
    The previous owner put in a graphics card and hooked up an external monitor and this works, but it is not ideal and I've hung the external LCD monitor on top/front of the existing monitor on the control, which is pretty cheeseball...
    I'd like to replace the monitor in the box, if I could, preferably with a small LCD.
    I called Mitutoyo and they don't have parts and don't support the Millstar controller any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by rpseguin View Post
    I have a Sharp HCV knee mill with a 2 axis Mitutoyo Millstar II controller and the monitor is dead.
    My controller is a PC inside (Pentium S or something) running Windows 95 with a Galil 2 axis ISA motion controller.
    The previous owner put in a graphics card and hooked up an external monitor and this works, but it is not ideal and I've hung the external LCD monitor on top/front of the existing monitor on the control, which is pretty cheeseball...
    I'd like to replace the monitor in the box, if I could, preferably with a small LCD.
    I called Mitutoyo and they don't have parts and don't support the Millstar controller any longer.
    Oh wow it had been a while!

Thanks for the reply, but I'm sad to say the coworker I was trying to help with this left years ago. Back then, if I remember right, I had figured it out as far as the LCD interface being LVDS and finding at least one video card model with that interface online, but I vaguely remember the maker not replying to my inquiry. That had signaled the end of the adventure.