585,744 active members*
5,107 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

stepper interfacing

I'm trying to build a simple little desktop 3D printer, I've seen tons of videos of people using CD drives. My question is first of all, how does the computer control CD drives in the fist place, via what code? Second don't CD drives have a built in controller board? Third, couldn't I control a CD drive, motor just from my computer, and not need any other driver boards etc.?

Right now I have one CD drive i'm testing with, I have it plugged into a external hard drive case, via IDE cable, witch then connects to the pc with USB.

anyways, is there away that I could control the CD drive, this way? Considering windows does it already when you eject the tray etc.

anyways I hope somebody can help me with this

thanks.

From what I know is that the CDROM is similar to a hard drive when connected via an IDE cable. The CDROM drive will understand certain commands that the manufacture created and embeded into the CDROM hardware. These commands are issued to the CDROM via a CDROM driver (software). Your program will then communicate commands via this driver.

The CDROM will have an address and a data port plus some handshaking signals. The driver will know this too.

I don't know the actuall commands used for the CDROM so I can't help you in that area.

Is there some sort of software that I can use that will communicate with the CDROM?
    I tried some cnc software but it does not effect the CDROM at all.

Not off hand. The software will most likely be C/C++ and you have to write the program yourself.

You could check into open source software like Linux and see if you can find a CD-Rom driver that you read the source file and obtain commands from.

I'm not clear as to exactly what you want to control. Most hints I have seen are only to open the tray, eject a CD and close the tray.

Reading a specific file would require other commands like those used for the hard drive, but I haven't gotten into such details.

Basically I'm just using the CD drives because they have a nice tray attached and a nice sliding action, also they come with a controller board, eliminating the use for a arduino etc.

But I don't want to simply just open and close the tray, I need it to move different excrements as you would need for a cnc machine or 3D printer.

It is a novel idea. Unfortunately I don't know enough either to guide you further.

The tray movement, is that proportional control? I thought that it fully moves open or closed but not proportional (incremental) so that you can't just move it "x" millimeters in or out.

Do you also use the spin of the platter for some function? If so you also need accurate angular control. Again, I don't know if that is feasable.

You will need the command set for the controller to go further. If that is proprietary then you will get stuck with the project. You may need to look for an open source controller to get a deeper understanding of the possible controls for the CD-ROM, which I don't have.

Using google I got these;

Open Source CDROM controller , soft and stuff - diyAudio

Project CDROM AUDIO Controller using PIC

You will need to investigate these threads since I didn't do that but it looks like something you are interested in and they may help you.

Thanks, I figured out that the board that is in the CD drive, is just a driver board, meaning it basically directs input and outputs it into the forum of power for motor, but that has to be connected to a micro controller, such as a arduino or a controller board.

I still don't understand why a computer itself wouldn't work but,

There are several cheap controllers from 15 to 80 bucks, or I could just a buy a arduino for 30, and use it for other projects down the road if I need it.