585,717 active members*
3,934 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SmoothStepper, Mach3, Win 7

Is anyone using their SmoothStepper with Mach3 and Windows 7?

Any problems? I would like to upgrade to Win 7 but would like to avoid any problems.

I'm not sure if I'll be using a 32 bit or 64 bit machine.

Any info would help.

Thanks,
    James
    James Harvey
    Harvey Development Corp.
    www.Harvey-Development.com

36" x 52" CNC Router
    ULS-25E 12" x 24" Laser Engraver

Re: SmoothStepper, Mach3, Win 7

James, I'm running an ethernet Smootshstepper with Mach3, and 64 bit Windows 7 on my CRP4848 router. Works fine with the exception of a homing problem I am seeing with a slaved Y and A axis. It is a known problem with the firmware and not with the above hardware/software combination.

I would recommend going with the ethernet smooth stepper since it seems to have fewer problems with noise than the USB version.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD
    CRP-4848 CNC Router, CNC G0463 (Sieg X3) Mill, 9"x20" HF CNC Lathe (current project)

Quote Originally Posted by Analias View Post
    James, I'm running an ethernet Smootshstepper with Mach3, and 64 bit Windows 7 on my CRP4848 router. Works fine with the exception of a homing problem I am seeing with a slaved Y and A axis. It is a known problem with the firmware and not with the above hardware/software combination.

I would recommend going with the ethernet smooth stepper since it seems to have fewer problems with noise than the USB version.
    Thanks for the info.

I already have the USB SmoothStepper. It works great, except for the homing problem you mention, but even that doesn't happen very often.

James
    James Harvey
    Harvey Development Corp.

36" x 52" CNC Router

Smooth Stepper

Hi James,

I am running mach3 version 3.042.040 with a PMDX 126 break out board and a USB Smooth Stepper on a Shopbot retrofitted control. I am using Windows 7 professional and no glitches and no issues with the homing routine. I also use the 2010 Screen Set which I have modified slightly.

Here is a link to a You Tube video [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WQ8KcTSKyQ]Shopbot PRT Electronic and Software Retrofit - YouTube[/ame]

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by HelicopterJohn View Post
    Hi James,

I am running mach3 version 3.042.040 with a PMDX 126 break out board and a USB Smooth Stepper on a Shopbot retrofitted control. I am using Windows 7 professional and no glitches and no issues with the homing routine. I also use the 2010 Screen Set which I have modified slightly.

Here is a link to a You Tube video Shopbot PRT Electronic and Software Retrofit - YouTube

John
    Thanks for the info.

I'm going to go ahead and update my computer to Win 7. It sounds like it will work just fine.

James
    James Harvey
    Harvey Development Corp.

36" x 52" CNC Router