585,744 active members*
4,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Gunsmithing > A little advice please

A little advice please

I'm new to cnc milling, I understand that a part is drawn in the CAD software then converted to g-code with CAM software and it's that g-code that instructs the mill. I also know there is tons of CAD/CAM software to choose from and like everything else in the world, you get what you pay for and sometimes less. A list that was given to me includes:
    1. G-wizard for feeds and speeds
    2. Geomagic Design for model creation
    3. V-Carve Pro
    4. Deskproto

This seems like more than what's needed so I'm hoping somebody here can set me straight. It would be nice to have as little software as possible for simplicity's sake, so if there's a one stop software available on the market that would be great. If not, can somebody please recommend reliable software with minimal limitations?

I will be running a Hurco 3-axis mill, I familiar with the gun manufacturing laws and I have investors to aid with finances. I also have accurate blueprints, firearm specific manuals, gunsmithing manuals, machining manuals. I'm currently looking for insights and recommendations.

Was this a stupid question or something?

go to the Vectric page and download Vcarve pro demo. You can do some designs and save your work but you will not be able to cut them until you purchase it. they do have some test files that you can cut also.

Depending on where you want to be in ten years. Keep in mind that who you marry now, for every intent and purpose , your stuck with. If you end up to be a big corporation and the software gets imbedded in the company, you will have a hell of a time changing over. Very few CAD/CAM companies hand shake with one another from the CAM side. Aka MasterCam files can not be opened in Gibbs. Sooo, here is my take; MasterCam is a great CAM package, but not so much on the solid side. Gibbs is a good general shop package. You can build solids and is fair on programming. Gibbs can import any solid models. Pro E and Solid works are outstanding CAD packages. If you are looking for a total package from part order, scheduling, inventory control, CAD and CAM, look into Seimens NX / Solid Edge. They have the total package and no other system needs to be added to your list.

Oh, okay. I get it. Thanks for putting that into perspective for me, this really helps a lot.