585,902 active members*
5,072 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > looking for a cam program.

looking for a cam program.

Hi
    I am a hobby user just getting into CNC. I have Alebri for a cad program, corel draw x6., and mach 3
    What I am looking for is a reasonably priced cam program and would like to know your thoughts on Bob cam as far as it being a fairly easy learning curve and how well you like it . I will be doing mainly 2.5 axis at least in the beginning learning phase.
    Thanks
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by ram48 View Post
    Hi
    I am a hobby user just getting into CNC. I have Alebri for a cad program, corel draw x6., and mach 3
    What I am looking for is a reasonably priced cam program and would like to know your thoughts on Bob cam as far as it being a fairly easy learning curve and how well you like it . I will be doing mainly 2.5 axis at least in the beginning learning phase.
    Thanks
    Ray
    BobCAD-CAM is fine, a very good software for the price however it is a CAD and CAM software, not just a CAM.

I have used Alibre and for what it`s worth I think that as you already have the Alibre CAD you should just go with the Alibre CAM add on package, you will have a very, very good setup that way and it will be seamless with no compatability issues and no new learning curve.

Also I think it would be cheaper as an existing customer of Alibre to go that route.

My 2 cents

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

For just 2.5D I would look at Cut 2D from Vectric. Easy to use and they are not annoying like the Bobcad sales team are. Free trial download without giving an Email address.

Quote Originally Posted by fixtureman1 View Post
    For just 2.5D I would look at Cut 2D from Vectric. Easy to use and they are not annoying like the Bobcad sales team are. Free trial download without giving an Email address.

It certainly is very annoying that the Aspire/Vetric salesman is constantly in the BobCad forums talking cr*p....

Eh Fixtureman2000?

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    It certainly is very annoying that the Aspire/Vetric salesman is constantly in the BobCad forums talking cr*p....

Eh Fixtureman2000?
    Yes it is but you have a choice to read it not like the phone calls that invade your home

Fixtureman1,

I really don't like to get involved with threads like this... But, what I can say is both products have their strengths and weakness. If the only reason why you don't like BobCAD is because of the sales team, you can always purchase our software on line through our web store.

CAD/CAM Software for CNC Machining | CNC Software | BobCAD-CAM

All companies have sales teams, some teams are more aggressive than others. You maybe have gotten more sales calls than you might have wanted. If that is the case please PM you contact information, I will make sure to talk with the sales rep in your area and make sure he doesn't call you.

When it comes to 2D programming for metal working, BobCAD CAM software offers a feature set that is inline with that type of programming. If you are making signs and programming on a router then cut 2D has some advantages. It really comes down to a matter of opinion and your experience with the different products. To bash our sales team as a reason why not to use BobCAD CAM software or deter other users is just in Bad taste. To claim we do not support our client base is laughable.

Based on the merit of the products and what they can do, it's in the OP's best interested to see for himself? Both products are downloadable and will give the users a chance to work with the software and decide if either product makes sense to him.

I talk with users of all kinds of CAD CAM systems, what I have found is the happy users are the ones who know how to use the software of their choice. This normally takes time and training of some sorts. All CAD CAM vendors work hard to improve their products and help their clients to the best of their ability.

I know here at BobCAD we are constantly listening to customers and developing our software to better suite their needs.

Putting together training programs like our new on line certification programs is an example of that.

BobCAD-CAM Certification | CAD/CAM Software | BobCAD-CAM

Fixtureman1, if you have any comments you would like to share with me privately about ways we could have improved your BobCAD experience please feel free to call or PM me.

Here is what some of our customers have to say about BobCAD:

1. “We use BobCAD to design and machine guitar parts. It is especially useful for the more complex parts such as necks and bridges. We are a small shop, 2 people, and BobCAD gives us a 3rd hardworking employee – our trusty cnc machine. The training we received at the seminar in Dallas really gave us a jump start in the use of BobCAD.” -Chris Jenkins, Lame Horse Instruments, Mansfield, TX

2.“We make the best gas engines for giant same model aircraft with BobCAD, and we wouldn’t change it for anything! BobCAD allows us to create beautiful parts fast and efficiently, and their customer support is second to none. BobCAD for us has been the difference between having to contract CAM services and being able to create our parts by ourselves.” -Mateo Saraga, SE Model Products, Miami, FL

3. “I use BobCAD at my shop to make knee and hip implant tooling that doctors and surgeons use every day. From multiple part assemblies to single 3D parts, BobCAD gives me the affordable flexibility to get parts from design to cutting in no time. Whether I get a file from a customer or I draw it myself, the CAM interface makes it easy to get my tools applied, program into the machine control, and get going!” -Jim Blinkenberg, Cameron Park, CA

4. “We use BobCAD V25 on our Amada Laser. We design and nest using BobCAD to get the most out of our machine. We have also started using BobCAD on our Flow Waterjet and are having great results. BobCAD has been a great tool and the new features on V25 are working flawlessly. The best thing about BobCAD is the ability to import files from our other software and use the utilities drop down menu to connect the lines and arcs to make a complete part with ease.” -Doug Parks, N-FAB, Houston, TX

5. “I use BobCAD in my shop to create signs, letter cutouts, engravings, shelf parts, picture frame parts, decorations, really anything I or my customers can imagine. We have used V24 for a year now and we have barely tapped its capabilities. This software has made life so much easier. I have had a great time learning to use v24. I bought a 24” by 60” cnc router and the V24 software with no prior cnc or CAD/CAM experience and thanks to BobCAD, we were able to produce useable parts the first day we turned the machine on. I have never had any problems with the software other than what comes from my lack of experience. It does a lot of the work by itself. I was concerned at first with the price, but it really has paid for itself in time saved within the first year. And we are just a small business. BobCAD has definitely increased our sales and profitability. I plan to begin working with V24 to make an electric guitar. This used to seem impossible, but now it’s definitely do-able. Thanks to BobCAD V24. Soon I would like to upgrade to V25.” -Phillip Lucas, Philz Woodwerks, Phil Campbell, AL

6. “We are building a 74ft steel sailboat in our front yard and in our little home shop; we have a 5 x 9 CNC plasma/router table. We’ve used BobCAD for making multiple parts and tools, but the best project so far has been making a propeller blade pattern we used to cast our one propellers. We also cut multiple models of the hull, but now that the hull is taking shape, we are really enjoying making functional parts that are also decorative. We recently designed and cut 54 – 1/4″ steel, mermaid deck braces.” -Doug Jackson, Tulsa, OK

7. “I use BobCAD-CAM to design small engine parts for the kart racing industry. Using BobCAD makes it very easy for me to generate the machine code right from the drawing without having to use a separate software program. I find the CAD very easy to use now that I have become more familiar with it. I have also used the BobART module it to generate drawings and code from scanned items saving a lot of time by not having to actually make the drawing.” -Tim Taylor, Track Trends, New Hudson, MI

8. “BobCAD is the most useful tool in my work shop. I’m developing a stringed musical instrument business that used to wreck my hands and limit my ability to play. With BobCAM and its ease to use, I can cut parts in 15% of the time it used to take me to hand make them. I’ve used Pro E but BobCAM is far easier to use. After only 3 weeks with the great tutorials I was able to cut my first Mandolin neck. I’m now onto my own design of upright electric basses, designing the backs, tops, necks and all the other blocks to build this bass. BobCAM will definitely send me into full time building in the next few months.” -Douglas Kemp, Douglas Strings, North Ridgenille, OH

9. “Although my main use for BobCAD is hobby related, I also use it in my business. I design engrave and V-Carve plastic signs for Photo voltaic installations to indicate the presence of solar power, identify shutoff switches and maps of the installation to assist emergency responders such as firefighters to ensure all power is turned off. I have designed and machined parts for a middle school under water l robotics team, which helped them win their regional competition and place 11th in the world competition. My hobby related uses have been to design and fabricate aluminum router mounts for my home built CNC machine, machine parts for the addition of a fourth axis, fabricate wood parts for gifts such as a rotating ear ring, necklace stand and jewelry boxes, and to make several commemorative plaques out of Koa for my wife to give out at her family reunion.” -Chip Conklin, Chips Marine LLC, Kailua Kona, HI

10. “I design molds from start to finish for the integrated circuit industry. Our parts are very small so it’s an art in itself. I also make a vast type of I.C. test sockets. I like the mat. setups for the fact that I cut a vast type of materials, plastics, tool steels, etc. I’m getting really good with the BobArt PRO. It’s so cool and it shocks my friends as to how I can be so good at art. I don’t tell them how easy you all have made it. If I can, in the years to come, do nothing but art work and program from my home that is my goal with BobCAD-CAM software… So far so good. I have 4 seats of the software for myself. I am also teaching my son to program. That is a gift I can give him for his future. I can’t even tell you how much BobCAD has helped me in the shop. Thank you all, I love it.” -Steve Eckhoff, Precision Contacts, Fair Oaks, CA

11. “I use BobCAD to create one-off car and motorcycle parts on my Hurco BMC 4020. The ideas for the parts either come from existing pieces or from friends with ideas. From simple parts to complex 3d shapes, BobCAD allows me to create this in less time and effort. What an awesome product for the money. Go BobCAD team!” -Henry Kenuam, St Louis, MO

12. “We use it [BobCAD-CAM software] to design/build parts for antique cars and tractors. We also use it to develop art works and designs for an NC plasma cutter. Main use is components for marine and automotive use manufactured on our Haas Mill. We also use it to design/manufacture model R/C car and airplane components. We have used it to design and produce a Company logo on a 3 ft x 3 ft office type sign.” -Tom Weber, Toms Marine, Ft McMurray, Alberta
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Well said. I have to say I have used Mastercam, NX, Work NC and Desk Proto but never found a really nice CAM package. V2/V3 for SolidWorks is just great. All CAD done in a great CAD package, Thanks to V2/V3 all CAM now done in the same package. No saving IGES, parasolid or STL files anymore. Lathe and mill nc all in one package. And the best part, no licence fee and really good price. Had a few problems, Al and the crew sorted in literally minutes. And did me a huge favor with V3. Love the simulation simplicity and really love the fact that now our SW models have the CAD 3D, 2D, FEA and CAM data. One master model,

No more editing G Code after post processing for us, just open SW update re-post, simulate and save. DONE!! V2/V3 = high output, low cost for us with strategies equal to Mastercam for 1/10th the price and with approx 1 million less buttons on the GUI

BobCam

BobcamV25 is the first CAM program that I ever used. I can't compare it to other software. However, I found it easy to learn, I don't think I ever bothered with a tutorial or anything. The simulation of cutting paths is fantastic for a beginner like me. Bobcam accepts my RhinoV4 files directly, no converting is needed. It gets done what I need to do, but I have no experience with any other CAM software. I use Windows7. I don't use the BobCAD software, so I can't comment on that.

I Have been using Dolphin Cad cam for 3 years, It was my first cad cam package I have used with my mill. I was looking for a cost effective upgrade as I was not happy with the limited software I had any longer.

Over the last few months I took the time to download and try every program I could find. And for me I thought Bobcad was really easy to use and had a lot of nice features. I downloaded the V25 trial and after 5 days of using it I purchased it. For me it has been great, It does everything I need, Code has been reliable and it has a lot more features than my previous software.

Honestly for me I Would say its and awesome midrange program and it fills in the gap between the super expensive $10K software and the limited low budget software.

I had no issues with the BoBcad sales Team they were actually very helpful and nice guys.

Try the software out yourself and make your own decision, I personally didnt like vectric, Alibre, dolphin, but everyone is different. Im sure glad I did not lilsten to the people on the forum bashing because If I did I might not have found it. And for me its been great

Its possible the sales efforts have changed recently. I got calls for years, (even 1 to 2 return calls right after hanging up- thats enough to piss someone off ) They finally caught me at the wrong time/wrong mood- and I rudely told them to stop calling. It did seem to work.
    However annoying it can be- I do applaud the effort, it does work for them Im certain. Any advertising, even negative, sticks your biz name in customers minds. I had V23's, and later purchased a few seats of V24.

I would upgrade to V25 if I thought it was much better. I am getting involved in alot more modeling of my projects, more than just 2d junk to make simple cuts. I would like better rendering capability for customer quotes and such.
    www.steelplinkers.com

Smile

I just brought V25 of Bobcad, when I contacted them I did so by e-mail and did not give out a phone number until we had agreed on a price. Later I gave out a work phone that they leave voice messages on but seldom am I there to answer it.
    I am happy with the package, it does very good with 2D drawing, I import most of my 3D parts from Step or Acis and it does well with that. For the money I don't think you can beat it. Mike