585,762 active members*
4,073 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Error R Less than Z...... then crash

Hi All,

Had my tormach drive a 1/4 drill bit into a piece of aluminium today... just trying to understand where I made a mistake.

Background running a deep drilling cycle on a tormach machine with Mach3, in single blk mode. After the first hole, finished I just wanted to push through the hole a little further so manually ran the drill down from safe height of 0.2532 to clean the finaly bit of the hole out. Then typed in the mdi interface z.2532 to return the drill to the correct height before continuting on with the program.

It produced the following error -

R less than Z in cycle in xy plane.

Ok I have seen similar type of errors before when using mdi interface. So i manually jog the drill back to the position.

Hit cycle start to continue on with the program and it decides to drive the drill into the work piece while moving to the next hole.

Can anyone point me in the direction .... of my mistake as when using the MDI interface I am seeing this type of error more and more. The other thing I am seeing is when it say type z0 it process the command but the z axis doesn't move.

Thoughts anyone ?

edit - I am able to reproduce the error

Cheers,
    Adrian

Single stepping in drill cycles usually leads to disaster.
    If you want to single step, use M1 (optional stop) codes between coordinates.
    Drill cycles hate being paused. With drill down, often just heads off to the next location without retract.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Thanks Neil.

Cheers,
    .adrian