585,733 active members*
4,968 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Surfcam > Cutting a propeller

Cutting a propeller

I am creating a tool path for a small propeller for a 10hp gas engine..
    I have done it before, but this time I want to have

Setup one.. Cut the top side...

Setup two... Flip the prop over and finish machining the other side...

When I create another setup in Surfcam... Then Flip the prop over
    and make a new tool path.. The first setup with its tool paths become
    red and when updated all toll paths cut setup two..

I am sure Surfcam can do this.. What am I missing.. ? Thanks

Eddie Weeks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SP32-20060210-000805.jpg  

The trick is to copy your model and wireframe to a new layer, turn the original layers off, and rotate and work with the new layer. naming the layers appropriately helps to keep track of things. for example: Part one Setup one is the name of the program toolpaths that I am working with and so is the layer for that operation.

The red dots by your toolpaths just mean you've moved or altered your geo in some way. Those toolpaths are still good and can be posted normally, you just can't regenerate without repicking again.

Chris

Yeah... Thats the ticket... Then I can copy... Flip.. Then move home to
    the right spot.. Thanks *10^6

you can create construction views to machine from. look in the help files on setting up a new constrution view. this will allow you to set a XYZ 0 in that view only and you will not have the red dot problem.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by pcms1965
    you can create construction views to machine from. look in the help files on setting up a new constrution view. this will allow you to set a XYZ 0 in that view only and you will not have the red dot problem.
    Amen to that! I used to move geometry around. No more. I had problems when the design would change, and I couldn't remember what weird angles I'd rotated the part, and would have to start over. You can verify the whole enchilada too.

PCMS,
    That is a pretty cool website. I never knew about the pocketing with islands features they show, or about contouring with "material." Cool stuff.

Chris

This is a fairly simple job... One flip and the part is done... So I did not learn how to
    create constructions views yet... But now I know what to do if things get out of hand..

Man.. Cutting wood is nice... 150 ipm 6800 rpm.. butter.. 1/2 ball.. parts are done
    every 15 min... If I tryed I could get it to 5 min..

one thing... I did not like the roughing tool path... Way to many rapids.. So I just ran
    a Planer 0.3" off the part.. Then the same planer (smaller step) 0.0" off the part..
    Worked great... Don't think it would work with metal... Some crazy plunges.

Eddie Weeks
    http://www.corpcomp.com/weeks1/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.jpg   3.jpg  

website

Eddie,

That is an amazing website you have there! Love the movies of the flights and the milling. I had no idea you could buy a jet engine for an RC plane.

Here is a link to a video of a model B 52 that is pretty amazing! http://www.mcgirt.net/RC/VIDEOS/Gian...52_flight2.wmv
    Gary