585,573 active members*
3,442 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Direct drive vs. Belt Reduction - Mini Mill Conversion

Direct drive vs. Belt Reduction - Mini Mill Conversion

For converting a HF Mini Mill (sieg X2) to CNC, is it better to direct drive the axes like the Steele plans or belt drive the axes like the fignoggle plans? I'd like to use the HobbyCNC system because it is the cheapest I've found. Is there anything else out there for a comparable price? Are 200 oz-in steppers sufficient for an X2 conversion? If not, can I use the 260 oz-in steppers from homeshopcnc with a driver board from hobbycnc?

on that machine i think the 200 oz-in steppers will be fine. if you plan on running the stepper i would go direct drive as that will give you the most speed. if you belt drive steppers you want to keep it 1:1 to maintain speed. the primary benefit of belt driving is to increase available torque through pulley reduction. but this will limit your speed with a stepper.

Using steppers, go direct drive. If you need more speed, change the screws / steppers / drivers / power supply / control software.