584,837 active members*
5,512 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > diferences between grizzly g9729 and harbor freight 17x31 combo machines

diferences between grizzly g9729 and harbor freight 17x31 combo machines

I am looking at getting the grizzly model g9729. My questions are if it is worth the price premium over the harbor freight model. I cannot see this machine swinging a 17 inch part is all I'm thinking. I don't want the mill section as I am getting a seperate unit G0519, but it is there so it may get utilized. It is by far the largest swing in my price. even if it can only swing plastic at that size it is something the others cannot. there are always trade offs but what do you guys think? no production stuff just prototyping and one off parts for a gantrey table project.

There was a thread elsewhere where getting parts from Harbor was reportedly NOT easy - still waiting for all I know. Had similar instance trying to get parts for a miter saw I bought from them....

I know from first hand experience that Grizzly has pretty decent service (IMO, great service) for parts. How so?

We dropped a lathe (rolled off the fork lift actually due tu impatience on part of operator). Broke odd ball handles and change box shift levers. Called them on a Friday - had parts on following Tuesday. AND the machine was several years old (vendor changes for imported hardware can make a "new lathe" obsolete when that happens).

Figured the parts would have to be massaged when they got here (been there, done that with imports) but they bolted in slick as anything and we were up and running directly.

AND Grizzly has very well written and illustrated operator/parts/service manuals available on line for download at no cost.

Parts and service mean a lot to me - more so than a slight cost penalty - especially when you break a change box handle that in all probability should last 14 lifetimes and didn't due to previosly cited dumbout.

EDIT: don't buy something you don't need. (chair) If you want a lathe, buy a lathe, if you want a mill, buy one.

The mill/lathe combos I"ve seen were on the cheezy side and not very rigid. Complexity in search of a need if you ask me. You will ultimately find that rigidity is critical to machining, regardless of the level of accuracy you'r shooting for.

Harbour freight definitely has issues with replacement parts! I ended up making some new parts for a 3in1bender i bought.

I would go the grizzlyer route!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Lathe decision

I have heard no obvious complaints about the rigidity of this particular machine but that is why I am asking. This machine has a hell of a swing that none of the lathe only models have in my price range. It would also be worth the extra machine in the shop the help during those times the stand alone mill is being converted to cnc. The tales of the customer service are the most telling.

tool post for a combo

I bought a used combo machine and it looks similar to the harbor freight. I cant seem to find a tool post anyware Im starting to get frustrated. It has a 16mm post that is on the compound rest. and the closest I have found on e-bay is 14mm. If someone could help me out that would be great. thanks