585,877 active members*
3,315 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > We lost a member of this group yesterday.
Page 2 of 2 12
    Its a sad day when grown men can't tolerate harmless banter. For me it doesn't matter who was right and who was wrong. What troubles me is that a member may have been banned because some poor little guy's feelings got hurt. As a result of the ban the entire group is deprived of Don's knowledge and experience. The entire group looses. How is that justified? Oh yes, he broke a rule. Big deal! Today, too many men, (probably not so much with the "grey beards"), must be treated with kid gloves. Sorry, but that's how I see it. We all lost.

This forum does not belong to "the community". It is one person's private property. They can do anything they please with it. If they even bother to make rules they are doing us a favor. They are not even obligated to tell us what the rules are.
    If one cannot follow the unwritten rules in my house, out you go.

Unhappy

Guy's,

Don't feel bad, it might cheer you up to know I just returned from a six month vacation.
    I actually was able to be much more productive at the shop.
    Old friends that I have not seen for years even stopped in for a visit.
    Don will be back before you know it and things will go back to normal.
    After all there is a reason why they call us Men of Mayhem.

JoeyB
    A doughnut a day keeps the doctor away.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnToner View Post
    Its a sad day when grown men can't tolerate harmless banter. For me it doesn't matter who was right and who was wrong. What troubles me is that a member may have been banned because some poor little guy's feelings got hurt. As a result of the ban the entire group is deprived of Don's knowledge and experience. The entire group looses. How is that justified? Oh yes, he broke a rule. Big deal! Today, too many men, (probably not so much with the "grey beards"), must be treated with kid gloves. Sorry, but that's how I see it. We all lost.
    I have a different perspective on your point of view. I am an administrator on a very large car forum and have been so for around 10 years.

I can absolutely promise you that some people, even with a vast array of knowledge on a given subject or area of concern, can be hugely disruptive to a community like this.

In most cases a tiny percentage of people cause 90% of the disruption. Some people like to push peoples buttons. The trouble makers end up driving the other knowledgeable people away and the place slowly goes downhill. Some of them get it after getting warning or temp bans... and it works out. Others don't despite several warning or bans and they aren't welcome back. Im glad this forum tries to keep some order.

Regardless, the forums that keep people like these in check are better communities period.

David

I agree. The moderators have a responsibility to keep things in order. Don was not the victim that certain depicts. He had an attitude and has insulted many people, most of the time for no good reason. The sad thing is that he also has very good comments, because of his experience. But you cannot blame the moderator for banning him, he banned himself really.
    This being said, he can just rejoin and hopefully tone it down a little and everyone will be happy. I am sure the moderators don't care very much about him ultimately and will let him "reborn".

Quote Originally Posted by David Bord View Post
    I have a different perspective on your point of view. I am an administrator on a very large car forum and have been so for around 10 years.

I can absolutely promise you that some people, even with a vast array of knowledge on a given subject or area of concern, can be hugely disruptive to a community like this.

In most cases a tiny percentage of people cause 90% of the disruption. Some people like to push peoples buttons. The trouble makers end up driving the other knowledgeable people away and the place slowly goes downhill. Some of them get it after getting warning or temp bans... and it works out. Others don't despite several warning or bans and they aren't welcome back. Im glad this forum tries to keep some order.

Regardless, the forums that keep people like these in check are better communities period.

David

Can he rejoin? I know when I ban people from the message board I host/moderate, I can ban their IP address. (Usually spam).

Re: We lost a member of this group yesterday.

IP's don't mean anything anymore....

Certainly the moderator has a right to make and enforce his rules. For me, that's not at issue. To ban the poster or simply ignore the post, that is the question.

I think a less drastic procedure would have been to delete the post.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

You're both ignoring the fact that everyone here was warned by the admins, after the last such occurrence, that there would be a zero-tolerance policy for inappropriate posts going forward, and *anyone* violating the rules would be immediately banned - no warnings, no take-backs, no questions asked. He ignored the warnings, and the admins did exactly what they said they would do. He has nobody to blame but himself. All he had to do was abide by the rules, heed the warnings, and act like a mature, responsible adult, and there would have been absolutely no problem. He didn't/couldn't do that, so he paid the price. It's just that simple. Ignore the admins at your own peril.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I think a less drastic procedure would have been to delete the post.
    I didn't see the post... I'm SOOoooo curious now to know what it was !

All this chatter had me searching for what was said....but to no avail.
    Shoptask rebuild:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2139
    Home built gantry router:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5049

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    You're both ignoring the fact that everyone here was warned by the admins, after the last such occurrence, that there would be a zero-tolerance policy for inappropriate posts going forward, and *anyone* violating the rules would be immediately banned - no warnings, no take-backs, no questions asked. He ignored the warnings, and the admins did exactly what they said they would do. He has nobody to blame but himself. All he had to do was abide by the rules, heed the warnings, and act like a mature, responsible adult, and there would have been absolutely no problem. He didn't/couldn't do that, so he paid the price. It's just that simple. Ignore the admins at your own peril.

Regards,
    Ray L.

good lord this is the 3rd time you've spouted this same thing, we heard you, give it a rest. it didn't help don to have you chiming in just to push his buttons, instigators get away and the retaliators get caught. get off your high horse, you've griped plenty about what you think the admins did wrong by you.

Quote Originally Posted by waltpermenter View Post
    good lord this is the 3rd time you've spouted this same thing, we heard you, give it a rest. it didn't help don to have you chiming in just to push his buttons, instigators get away and the retaliators get caught. get off your high horse, you've griped plenty about what you think the admins did wrong by you.
    Do you remember the old school teacher you had in grammar school? Ray kind of reminds me of her. He's always gotta have the last word.

Or like your staff sergant in the Army. He gets his point across but doesn't know when to quit.

Give it a rest Ray. You probably said something that irritated him, and he called you out on it. You occasionally say things that piss me off too, but I have learned to let it slide.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

As is all to common, you guys are taking a firm position, without bothering to consider the actual facts. I said/did NOTHING to Don in that thread. I simply responded directly to a question asked by another lister, with simple, factual, to the point information. My response addressed the question asked, nothing more, nothing less. If that somehow irritated Don, well that's just too d@mned bad. Dons' response was yet another of this countless, childish "He doesn't have a Tormach, so he can't possibly know anything of value" posts. His post did not in any way address the question that was asked, it contained NO useful information of any kind. It was purely trying to stir up trouble. It was actually quite innocuous, compared to many of his posts, but it was enough that when the admins saw it, he was banned.

So quit moaning about how unfair and unreasonable it was, as if Don was an innocent victim, and this action came completely out of the blue. That is a big, fat, smelly load of garbage. And quit trying to make it sound like I had ANYTHING at all to do with it. I did not! I didn't even report it to the admins, because I don't waste my energy fretting over people who insist on behaving like irresponsible, spoiled children. The admins found Dons post all by themselves, and they took action all by themselves.

Regards,
    Ray L.

You notice no mater how much trouble he causes he never gets banned..

Garry

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Do you remember the old school teacher you had in grammar school? Ray kind of reminds me of her. He's always gotta have the last word.

Or like your staff sergant in the Army. He gets his point across but doesn't know when to quit.

Give it a rest Ray. You probably said something that irritated him, and he called you out on it. You occasionally say things that piss me off too, but I have learned to let it slide.
    you nailed it. go read other forums here, his almighty attitude isn't specific to this one and many others find him objectionable.

Quote Originally Posted by gmfoster View Post
    You notice no mater how much trouble he causes he never gets banned..

Garry
    yet.

yet.
    No I'm not sure why but he is exempt from such action...

Garry

Re: We lost a member of this group yesterday.

A lot of great minds in this thread, how about we grow up and move on now?

Page 2 of 2 12