585,741 active members*
5,048 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Metal Spinning on Standard CNC Lathe

Can I use a standard CNC lathe to form sheet metal into cones and funnels over a mandrel or do I need a purpose built cnc metal spinning (spin forming) machine? I manage a small production support machine shop and would like to justify a small cnc lathe someday but I was recently asked to investigate how we could make our own small product funnels in-house. I see they can easily be formed by metal spinning but purpose built cnc metal spinning machines may not work the best for general cnc lathe made parts. I would like to be able to spin sheet metal parts and turn standard parts on one machine if possible. I found this economical purpose built metal spinning machine http://http://www.dmsdesignco.com/in...DMS-Revolution but it doesn't have the capacity I would like for a standard cnc lathe. The standard cnc lathe size I am looking for is something similar to a Haas TL-2 toolroom lathe. A cnc spinning machine with a 20" blank capacity would work fine. Any direction or information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Small? Watch some of the metal spinnijg videos on YuoTube. Most of those machines seem to be MORE powerful and massive than the average shop lathe.

That being said, I imagine you could "do" metal spinning on any rotary source within its physical limitations of size, power, etc.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

The Haas TL-2 probably has the horsepower needed, but not the RPM range.

I used to have a couple of Boko hydraulic spinning lathes.ISTR blank capacity about 28" and they weighed ten tons each.
    A lot of stresses involved.

In general metal spinning involves low rpm and very high forces on the spindle, I guess high forces on anything. I don't think any CNC machine would have the brute strength needed to survive metal spinning unless the spun parts were small and thin. Small funnels may be possible on a TL2 but it would be a good idea to find out the forces invloved and compare them with the maximum X and Z servo thrust for the TL2.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thank you to all that posted. It looks like I am looking for a dedicated machine. I will do more research and see what I can come up with. Thanks again.

CNC Spinforming Equipment

Hello Dyocum,

My company specializes in finding, reconditioning and retrofitting used CNC metal spinning machines. I was directed to your thread and joined the group.

I might be able to help you in your search and it would be good if we could talk first. Check out; DG Associates | CNC Spinforming Equipment for my direct contact information.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Regards,
    Dave