585,982 active members*
4,669 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Windows 7 install problem with KMotion

I'm trying to install KMotion429 on a Windows 7 machine. I don't get any errors, but it seems to fly past the install with actually doing anything. Nothing gets extracted, no shortcuts are made. As far as I can tell, it's not doing anything at all.

It says "Welcome to Install Shield Wizard", I click "Next", the blue bar quickly moves a couple of times for a second or so, and then it disappears without seemingly doing anything.

I'm hoping someone can give some suggestions for getting this up and running on Windows 7....or DOES it work on Windows 7? I thought it did.

Thanks for any help,
    John

This often works.

For a start right click the install program, and make change compatibility for XP.
    Then
    Start, right click computer,
    properties,
    Advanced System settings,performance
    Settings button,
    Data Execution Prevention tab,
    Add the install program to the list.

Once installed you may need to add the installed .exe files and .dlls to this list.

Earlier programs, pre vista/win7 often executed program fragments in data space.
    To allow this you need to add to this list.
    Interestingly, some installs are smart enough to add themselves and other items to this list.

This works for countless older compilers, programs and some win98 programs too, instead of an expensive upgrade, as well as lots of viruses.

Sometimes you need a reboot, but most times you don't
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Did you check to see if there is a root directory created Kmotion429?
    And if there is any content?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I'll try neils suggestion this morning when I'm back in the shop.

Al: There's nothing at all installed. I even did what I NEVER do and I used Window's search function. I never need to resort to that, but I did it because I was desperate. As far as I can tell, not one nibble makes it to anywhere. I have it running just fine on my CNC controller laptop. I'm trying to get it onto my development machine so that I can write a GUI front end for it that makes more sense for the kind of work I do. What's odd is that I think the laptop is a Windows 7 machine too. The power cable just died on it so I can't check, but I don't recall having any problems whatsoever on that machine.

If I get it to work, I'll let you guys know what I did. I wish there was a way to log Install Shield. I thought it was /debuglog, but that didn't work. Funny, I got into instrument building to GET AWAY from engineering and software, and I'm probably writing more real software now than I did my last 6 months at the "real" job.

Hi John,

It normally works ok on W7 32 and 64 bit. But the old Install Shield we use has some quirks with certain programs. Exit everything you possibly can and disable any anti-virus and run as administrator. If that doesn't work you can always just install on another machine and then copy in the directory which is pretty much all the installation does.

If you find something please let us know.

Thanks
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Quote Originally Posted by TomKerekes View Post
    Hi John,

It normally works ok on W7 32 and 64 bit. But the old Install Shield we use has some quirks with certain programs. Exit everything you possibly can and disable any anti-virus and run as administrator. If that doesn't work you can always just install on another machine and then copy in the directory which is pretty much all the installation does.

If you find something please let us know.

Thanks
    Thanks, Tom. Do I need to register any dlls, or anything like that? I'll play around with it some tonight and tomorrow, and see how I end up.

Thanks, Tom. Do I need to register any dlls, or anything like that?
    No
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Just a quick update: The laptop IS a Windows 7 Home Premium machine, just like my workstation. Works on the laptop, not on the workstation. I tried all of the suggestions...nothing works. I even changed my theme back to the Windows Classic theme (that's what I'm running on the Laptop). Nothing works.

The one bit of info I have is that the installer never exits. The window disappears but the process never dies and I have to kill it by hand. Not sure how helpful that is, but I don't really need it to run on this particular machine so I'm just going to let it go and I'll copy the files by hand as you suggest.

I also could not install kflop on windows 7 , installation compatibility not help me. But after some time I accidentally found an old freeware Russian program for CNC and starting install, kflop suddenly woke up and established itself ..
    Perhaps the program change something in the system and it make possible to Kflop install correctly! ..
    The program name is PAUK
    download site: http://www.x4axis.com/download.htm
    download link: http://www.x4axis.com/download/setup_no_buf_50.exe