584,862 active members*
5,349 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Looking for work holding tutorials or info

Looking for work holding tutorials or info

I finally have my CNC mill up and running and I am getting close to cutting something on it.

A lot of what I will need to cut is flat plate aluminum up to 1" thick. These will be various pieces used to build a Data-Cut CNC router.

I am wondering how I will hold my aluminum plate pieces in order to be able to cut the complete perimeter as well as the holes and stuff needed in the center. Some parts are small, and some are large, but pretty much all of them are flat plate with just perimeter cut and some holes.

My machine has T-slots.

I am sure this is simple, but this is my first CNC machine that is up and running. Doing things manually, you can just move parts, re-measure, re-clamp in the vise etc. Things are different now because my machine will do all the work on it's own and the work piece needs to be clear for all operations.

I am looking for some links or easy ways to do these type of parts.

Re: Looking for work holding tutorials or info

Many books on fixturing, machine shop secrets, etc. YouTube would be another good place.

Pre-drill mounting holes and bolt through the plate on top of spacers to hold down.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Pre-drill mounting holes and bolt through the plate on top of spacers to hold down.
    This is kind of what I was thinking, but it means I would have to perfectly place a couple of my holes manually that will be used.

The other way I was thinking is use two operations. Mount the part and drill all the interior holes etc. via CNC, then uses those holes to mount it like your saying and align it perfectly and perform a second operation of the perimeter.

It would be nice to do it all in one operation because I do have a tool changer, but I don't see how you can unless you place extra holes that won't be used in your work piece that are not precise and use those for mounting. I don't want extra unused holes though.

Some of my parts might already have two sides that don't need any machining. On those I can mount on the untouched sides and do everything without re-mounting the part.