585,754 active members*
3,857 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Angry 5 axis entry point

Hi all

Just wondering, when you use 5 axis machining, how do you set the entry point to be inside of a hole, let me explain.

If you have a bent elbow lets say, i.e. a copper 90 deg pipe, and when the table is at 90deg, the hold is facing upto the Z axis. But when I program anything in solidcam, you cant set the Machine Coords as it defaults and is locked to 1. But no matter what I do, my cutter seems to plunge in from the outside, I'd like to tell it to only enter and exit the hole, at the moment it ignores the solid model and plunges where it feels like.

I must be missing something...

What strategy in 5-axis are you using? Parallel cuts/morph between curves etc.

If you can, zip up the Solidcam project and post on here so we can see what your doing. Cheers

Hi I have attached a PDF of where I am trying to machine, it inside the hole at the top, its just a chamfer, which I'm trying to use a lollipop cutter to do, at the bend intersection.

But everytime I program, it enters wherever, I would like to just restrict. I will post a zipped up file later, when the cam machine free..

Picture posted for now..
    Attached Files Attached Files

Put a split line on the face and then use the "projection" strategy with the split line as the projection geometry. Then control the tool using the lead in/out and tool axis tabs.

Hi

When you say split line, would this be length ways across the middle or the shorter distance and cut the face into 2?

If you attach the project zip file I might be able to give u an answer that doesn't involve any additional feature creation, sketches or model modification.
    If u do please include a description of what u want to achieve. Cheers

Ok I am trying to extract the Solidcam File, but the size is massive, i've tried deleting stuff from the zip file, but not sure which ones to keep, what section should I post. Would just the Solidworks file do?

Have u tried using the "cleanup cam part" function? Instead of deleting features or operations.
    Top of ur SC feature tree, right click and select "Cleanup Cam Part".
    If file still too large, do a copy of project and delete all operations except the one u need help with, then also run cleanup cam part. Then run the send to function (also on the right click menu mentioned), send to zip file.

I have attached the file I have been working on, it seems all there, I think.

It is the last operation I am looking to at. This one is my latest attempt and seems to be right, but just wondering if there is any other approach. This took me a few hours to work out. Its just a chamfer with a lollipop cutter I am doing.

Correction, the upload keeps failing. Too bit, its only 4mb, I'll try taking more out. I'll remove all but the last operation

Its should be here now

Damn this upload
    Attached Files Attached Files