585,605 active members*
3,223 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Need help on BOB and wiring for boss5 with stock steppers

Unhappy Need help on BOB and wiring for boss5 with stock steppers

I am in need of help on finding a breakout board and wiring etc to retro fit a boss 5. i have tried to get in touch with hillbilly thru here and thru ashburn about his bob but have not gotten any response. so i am on to trying to find another bob and the appropiate info such as wiring etc.can anyone help? i can read schmatics but my electrial knowledge mainly goes back to vac tubes.machine is currently operational. had a problem with coolant option board which kept the interlock relay(#3) from allowing spindle startup so disconnected the relay and machine seems to function fine. FOR NOW!!! i also have a couple of older backwired boards for sale.thanks paul

Did you ever get your question answered?

I bought a Boss5 and converted it to EMC2 and a PC. Used Geckos (this is really the only option) and a PMDX bob.

PMDX and Gecko both have excellent customer service and excellent warranty service. Maurice at Gecko answers his own phone, asks you one or two quesions, then tells you what to do in one sentence.
    Gecko has an ironclad warranty. On your first driver failure, free replacement, even if its your fault. You want the G203V.
    PMDX also makes drivers, and this is a first rate company, but I've not used their drivers. The boss here has been doing embedded controls all his professional life. He really knows his stuff.

Tom

Thanks for the info Tom. I have not really done anything at this point as my 1st machine is operational. I have talked to CNC4PC about it and they have a bob and drivers that will work with the stock steppers. would like to go to Geckos but can not justify the cost right now. rarely use the machine currently. thanks for info.paul

Quote Originally Posted by PAUL BASSETT View Post
    Thanks for the info Tom. I have not really done anything at this point as my 1st machine is operational. I have talked to CNC4PC about it and they have a bob and drivers that will work with the stock steppers. would like to go to Geckos but can not justify the cost right now. rarely use the machine currently. thanks for info.paul
    Which BOB were they suggesting to be able to keep the stock motors and motor drivers? I too would like a Hillbilly bob but not sure if I can get ahold of him. In due time I would like to upgrade to new steppers and gecko but funds do not allow it at this time.