585,708 active members*
4,078 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > multiple work offsets

multiple work offsets

I am using Mastercam X6 and was wondering how to repeat a set of toolpaths in a g55 location or multiple g5x's. I have a large 84" table and multiple vices and would like to utilize it a bit more. Would I use transform toolpath?, or something in each toolpaths parameters

Use a different WCS for each location. Set work offset to 0 for G54, 1 for G55, and so on.

You can set Transform to use different work offsets for each location. Just mess around with it, or do as Tx said, but that would require a new group and set of toolpaths for each location, wouldn't it?

For what you're doing, G52 works really well if your control supports it. With Haas, you set your G54 in one spot on the fixture, then use G52 to shift that work offset to all your locations. I like it because you only have to locate one position for G54 versus probing ALL of your fixture locations every time you setup.

Both replies would do what you are wanting.

Using a WCS for each location
    - major problem with larger files - if needing to modify your toolpaths, you have to have your brain turned ON to know what needs altering

Using Transform
    - initial problem is getting the correct boxes checked,
    - best method, as the toolpath ops are singlur, modify one op, & it is carried through in the transform ops
    - there are many features in transform, don't be disappointed if it isn't what you need, it's probably 1 or 2 items not being set correctly

( hint, "ghost" can be used to not post the actual operation, and let the transform op output NC code in the correct order )

Thanks for all the help. I will try and learn both ways. I mainly use only 2.5D prgms from ACAD wire frame drawings so i don't have much practice moving WCS's around, but i should learn. I have messed with transform a bit, and it was a pain the first few times using the 4th axis (so many oddly worded check boxes)

Also i remember support changing the Misc. value for (lock on first WCS) from 0 to 1 which 0=no, 1=yes. This apparently made things easier for 4th axis programming. Will this effect what im trying to do now? Any idea where to go to change this back? He made the change in a place other than under parameters to hold the value of 1, permanent