584,817 active members*
4,952 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Bending, Forging, Extrusion... > NorthStar Press Brake For 20 Ton Shop Press anyone ever use one?

NorthStar Press Brake For 20 Ton Shop Press anyone ever use one?

Anyone ever use one of these? Would it work good for an occasional 90 degree bend in 1/8" or 3/16"? Thanks for all advice!

It should for reasonably sized pieces...which most likely are under a foot long.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmdude

Anyone ever use one of these? Would it work good for an occasional 90 degree bend in 1/8" or 3/16"? Thanks for all advice!

I would call and ask what the lower die opening and the die angles actually are. Over all capacity of air bending on 85 deg dies is a lot less tonnage verses trying to get 90deg bends on 90deg dies take coining or bottoming tonnage to get there. For a full 20 inch bend? 1/8" maybe 3/16" I'd have to see to believe. Probably why they put a 10" limit on 3/16". Is there a possibility of a demo before you purchase?

If the lower die can be changed out to different widths in relation to material thickness, would be a big plus.

As with most claims being rather boastful in extreme limits verses realistic to prevent damage for average materials. The tonnages developed will help classify its true capability for a consistent 90deg bend. You are at the mercy of balancing forces with a single ram. Which often is out of your control once the bend begins. Off center loading is a no-no. But I have heard others use another jack to either side if not both to get a full 90deg bend due to flex in the upper die on the outboard ends. Those guide posts can prevent you from sliding the material, so you have to make do some how.

Of course you may choose to do these mod's after purchasing to add to your plethora of tooling options for optimal results.

DC

works good

I bought the big one from northern tool about a year ago and it was worth every penny. so easy to build to, but I dont have the machinery for that. I have bent 3/8 x 6" wide with no problems, and 1/4" on a regular basis. 1/4 x 8" only take about 16 tons of force also. in case anyone wanted to know that. about the 90 degree bend....um thats a lttle tricky sometimes, you have to put the part back in or go to a specific amount of force. basically you dont just stop when its bent you have to go a couple more tons to make the 90 angle. and its easy to go not enough or to far. oh and dont bend 1/2x1/2 bar.... it snaps and goes flying across the shop. wasnt pretty.

I bought the 20 ton model and it works great. It does not fit between the legs of the harbor freight 20 ton press though. I have it in there a bit sideways for now but I think I'll be upgrading to a bigger press with a motor in place of the hand pumping. I built different diameter pieces of solid round stock about 1" long each and use one on each side of the press to adjust the bend angle (they sit in the female die and stop the male die a certian distance to make different angles). Works pretty sweet and is good for repetitive bending at a specific angle. I'll eventually number the different diameters and make a chart that has the bend angles listed for each thickness of material to tell you what pieces of solid stock to use. I recomend this to everyone who is looking for a low cost press brake solution. Thanks!

bend radius for .120 4130?

I think I might get the 20 ton unit. Can anyone that has this unit tell me what the bend radius is for bending .120 thick 4130N to a 45 degree angle?? I believe this unit air bends so I'm not sure what it will do with this thickness and angle.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dsmdude View Post
    I bought the 20 ton model and it works great. It does not fit between the legs of the harbor freight 20 ton press though. I have it in there a bit sideways for now but I think I'll be upgrading to a bigger press with a motor in place of the hand pumping. I built different diameter pieces of solid round stock about 1" long each and use one on each side of the press to adjust the bend angle (they sit in the female die and stop the male die a certian distance to make different angles). Works pretty sweet and is good for repetitive bending at a specific angle. I'll eventually number the different diameters and make a chart that has the bend angles listed for each thickness of material to tell you what pieces of solid stock to use. I recomend this to everyone who is looking for a low cost press brake solution. Thanks!

bump