586,000 active members*
4,829 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Building new Router for Alu and Wood work

Hi guys, just wanted to introduce myself quick, and wanted to get some opinions if i am making the correct choice. I am in Los Angeles and need a router to make aluminium panel and some wood work, like engraving and some other...

I was planning on getting the following:
    Router Kit
    NC Router Kits Engrave Mill Plasma Travel 24"x49" Commercial Milling
    CNC Router Kits Engrave Mill Plasma Travel 24"x49" Commercial Milling | eBay

i will not get the stepper and control board only the frame and the linear guides. Since this machine has linear guides it looks stable to me to cut aluminium, i am not looking in doing crazy DOC i am OK with doing more steps or if the cuts take longer.

For Stepper i wanted to get the following from Automation Technology Inc
    * NEMA 23 Closed Loop Stepper Motor System-Hybrid Servo Kit, 32 bit DSP Based, for all 3 axis
    * Smooth Stepper Ethernet (already have it at home)
    * Mach 3 (already have)

As router the Hitachi m12vc with a Super PID V2 speed controller.
    Then also precision collects from here Precision solid carbide tools for woodworking and metal forming.

My question is, do i make the right choice on the router itself? I have about $2000 to spend on the router (frame) alone, but like the option of the linear rails. If needed i can always reinforce the frame with some more parallel extrusion profiles.

Any suggestions are welcome.
    Hive 8 - G0704 CNC Mill - 20 inch Telescope - High Resolution 3D Printer - Lasersaur 100W CO2 Cutter / Engraver

For that kind of money with no motors or control is insane. For that money you could build your own and have left over cash for some sweet controls and motors along with bells and the kitchen sink

Now if your not the handyman type then it's deff nice looking but still IMO you should be getting motors and couplers for that kind if cash. I would keep looking in this case again just my 2 cents
    http://youtu.be/9dTS1A2F4j8

It looks like some pretty small extrusion they are using in that kit. I would use at least 2 3030 extrusions for the gantry or a single 3060 for the Y rails use at least 3030, 1545 or 3060. They are also only using one bearing block. Look at 99% of any machine using linear rail and they will use 2 bearing blocks. If you want something like that I would look at CNC router parts and build the frame like theirs except put profile linear rail on it. You will never regret overbuilding.